Help with Low Power PCB Design

Hi All.
I have been working a project building a “semi-smartwatch” based on esp32 for a little over a year. I am new to electronics, programming and pcb design so I love this new hobby. At any rate, I finished my pcb design and got some prototypes made. Everything seems to be working as expected. However, one of the top priorities in my design considerations was battery life (it uses a 3.7V lipo battery). However, my first prototype used a 150 mAh battery and only lasted about 3-4 days . So that would make my current draw something like 1.5 - 2 miliamps. I was expecting to get at least twice that based on simply the information from the data sheets of all the major components that went into the design. Of course there are going to be leakages and losses in things like pullup/down resistors etc. but I am not familiar with what some of the major loss mechanisms are nor how to address them. I was hoping someone here could give me some pointers. I would be happy to start by posting my schematic, discussing my code, and posting details of my pcb design (just don’t laugh at me for being a noob).

Oh, I mentioned the Nordic Power Profiler Kit 2. I saw this thing in some forums and thought I would give it a try since I am concerned about my power draw - and it is really a nice piece of work! It is extremely easy to use and works great (no I am not sponsored by them)! You can find a description here but it basically tells you how much current is being used by your device. It is really made for low power applications (uA-1A).

So when I first fired it up on my digital watch with everything running (esp32-S3, DS3231 Real-time clock, BMI-270 motion sensor, MAX17048 fuel gauge ic, SH-1106 oled display) I was seeing a current draw of about 63 mA

since battery life was a key design parameter, I put the esp32 in deep sleep for most of the time. Here you can see it transition to deep sleep:

As I mentioned before, since it lasted about 3-4 days being in deep sleep most of the time, I expected a current draw to be 1.5mA to 2mA while in deep sleep and PPK2 showed that was spot on at 1.5mA!

Another cool thing is I have a piezo buzzer that beeps everytime I hit a button on the watch and you can see the “pulses” of each button press

The watch is “semi-smart” since it can use the esp32 to set itself using Wi-Fi and getting the time from an NTP server. Talk about power consumption! This is what using WiFi looks like, but I dont know what those spikes are.

Anyway, I thought this was waaay cool so I wanted to share it with you guys and ask again if I could get some pointers on how to reduce the power consumption. If I could cut it in half i.e. get the “deep-sleep” state down to about 0.7 mA I would be ecstatic! I already have an idea that I think would help. The DS3231 RTC chip has a coin cell battery “backup” and when running off of that instead of the LiPo it uses significantly less power. However, I still have it running of the main 3.7V lipo even while sleeping. I was wondering if I could created a +3.3V “power bus” that all modules except the esp32 will be connected to. If I use something like a p-channel mosfet as a switch (one of the esp32 gpio connected to the gate) then I could only have these components “powered” when the esp32 wakes up from deep sleep. I think that may help but that could cause other start-up problem.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Any help is really appreciated!

Fish

The Firebeetle ESP32 can go down to 0.011mA in deep sleep. I think the used voltage regulator + external crystal does the trick.

@sivar2311
Thanks for the reply Boris! I am not using a dev board (except for prototyping. I made my own pcb based on looking at various dev boards and esp32-S3 datasheet and Design Hardware Guideline.

Although the article did help! It knocked some of the cobwebs out and I was able to wire up the ppk II with a small power supply to give me an apples-to-apples comparison with my pcb. You ready for this?

With everything running and powered by the 5V power supply, my prototype breadboard was using 82 mA with everything running compared with 63 mA on my pcb. So that made me feel good. But since it will spend a majority of time in deep sleep, that is my main concern. The breadboard used just 775 uA in deep sleep compared to 1.5 mA of my pcb. Like I said above, near 700uA is what I am shooting for so it looks like it is possible, I just need to know where the losses are on my pcb (breadboard and pcb are running the same code, so it is nothing I am doing with components like putting one to sleep one way, but not the other.)

Anyway, thanks for the response. Also, like I said, I can show schematics and pcb files if requested.

Fish

@sivar2311

I did find a possible issue. Pin 29 is marked VDD_SPI. At first I thought this pin was supposed to be connected to +3.3V. However, I have seen some designs where it isn’t used at all and some designs where 2 decoupling capacitors are used and it is simply labeled “VDD_SPI”. Going back, I thought this was an input . The datasheet lists it as both an input and output:
INPUT: In-package memory (backup power line)
OUTPUT: In-package and off-package flash/PSRAM

So if I am putting 3.3V on this line, I think it is a mistake - but not sure if that consumes any current. I did check that pin on my design and on a dev board. On the dev board, it is +3.3V when the esp32 is active an 0V during sleep (output mode). On my pcb it is always +3.3V. Since I am not using PSRAM, I think I should not connect this and remove the decoupling caps?

Fish