Help compiling on esp8266-rtos-sdk

Hello I am a PlatformIO beginner. I have a Wemos D1 mini clone (ESP8266). I imported the esp8266-rtos-sdk framework, but am unable to build an example program from the Espressiv SDK GitHub: GitHub - espressif/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK: Latest ESP8266 SDK based on FreeRTOS, esp-idf style..
When I look in my directory .platformio/packages/framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk It is not the same files as the Espressiv SDK.
I am not sure what I should be doing to build.
Is platformIO not reading my dependencies and therefore not including my files?
Is the Espressiv SDK a different version?
Maybe I need to add the SDK files as a library?
I notice in the config files for framework-esp8266-rtos-sdk that its referencing GitHub - espressif/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK: Latest ESP8266 SDK based on FreeRTOS, esp-idf style..
Sorry for the beginner question, I’m sure there’s an easy answer.

PlatformIO’s ESP8266 RTOS SDK is extremely outdated. This issue is tracked in Update ESP8266_RTOS_SDK v1.4.0 to ESP8266_RTOS_SDK v3.x.x · Issue #219 · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub (and Outdated version of ESP8266 RTOS SDK · Issue #192 · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub and Support for ESP-IDF style ESP8266_RTOS_SDK · Issue #125 · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub) and I hope there’ll be some attention to that soon.

If you want to develop a ESP8266 RTOS SDK firmware with PIO’s old version, you must start from the example project at platform-espressif8266/examples/esp8266-rtos-sdk-blink at develop · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub.

Or really, use native Espressif tools and instructions on their repo :sweat:

Thanks, I’ll have a look. I did already build one of the 3 or 4 examples that are available and its working.