Failed compile on VSCODE on MAC

I am compiling the DEMO for Marlin-bugfix-2.0.x BTT_GTR_V1.0-Demo unmodified. Started with iMAC with Xcode and installed VSCODE then the PIO addon. The error look like file access or linking errors.

this is just the tail end:
/Users/bkauf/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoststm32/system/Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32f4xx_ll_tim.h: In function ‘void LL_TIM_EnableBRK(TIM_TypeDef*)’:
/Users/bkauf/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoststm32/system/Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32f4xx_ll_tim.h:2797:10: warning: conversion to void will not access object of type ‘volatile uint32_t {aka volatile long unsigned int}’
(void)(tmpreg);
~^~~~~~~
/Users/bkauf/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoststm32/system/Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32f4xx_ll_tim.h: In function ‘void LL_TIM_DisableBRK(TIM_TypeDef*)’:
/Users/bkauf/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoststm32/system/Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32f4xx_ll_tim.h:2814:10: warning: conversion to void will not access object of type ‘volatile uint32_t {aka volatile long unsigned int}’
(void)(tmpreg);
~^~~~~~~
/Users/bkauf/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoststm32/system/Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32f4xx_ll_tim.h: In function ‘void LL_TIM_ConfigBRK(TIM_TypeDef*, uint32_t)’:
/Users/bkauf/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoststm32/system/Drivers/STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32f4xx_ll_tim.h:2834:10: warning: conversion to void will not access object of type ‘volatile uint32_t {aka volatile long unsigned int}’
(void)(tmpreg);
~^~~~~~~
/Users/bkauf/.platformio/packages/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/7.2.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: cannot open linker script file stm32f407xg.ld: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pio/build/BIGTREE_GTR_V1_0/firmware.elf] Error 1

I have even added ~/.platformio to my path: "Bretts-iMac-2:~ bkauf$ echo $PATH
~/.platformio:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
Bretts-iMac-2:~ bkauf$ "

python --version: Python 2.7.16
pip --version: pip 20.0.2 from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-20.0.2-py2.7.egg/pip (python 2.7)
but
inputing pio home: -bash: pio: command not found

echo $PATH:
~/.platformio:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

1. Do you have to have .pio for each folder in the path?
  2. This used to work for two other printers with different boards on Marlin 2.0.x
  3. When I give the config.h, configadv.h and pins file to someone with a PC, it compiles fine.
  4. My guess (and I’m happy to be wrong) is that there is something wrong with the Mac installer.

Can someone help me move forward please?