Espressif 32 Platform 6.4.0 Loads for ever

In PIO home under Platforms/Installed tab I have only one - “Espressif 32” (6.4.0)

There are two options to click on, Arduino and Espidf.

If I click on Espidf, the GUI jumps to “Frameworks” and a blue “Loading…” animation churns for hours and hours.

I have removed the .platformio/penv directory and did a re-install of platformio twice. That did not seem to help.

Comments and suggestions welcome. I’m on a fully patched Windows 10 (22H2)

Edit 12/13: I also did a fresh install of Visual Studio Code on a fully patched Windows 10 (also 22H2) machine and then installed PIO. Thereafter took the same steps as described on the machine above, and experienced the same forever-churning “Loading” animation. I can post a video if anyone can point me how to upload a video.

Open a PlatformIO CLI and do

pio pkg install -g -p "espressif32"
pio pkg install -g -t "framework-espidf"

so that at least the base packages are installed. Retry building the project then.

Hi, thank you so much for the fast response max!

I executed the two lines as you suggested. The responses are below:
PS C:\Users\noise\Documents\PlatformIO> pio --version
PlatformIO Core, version 6.1.11
PS C:\Users\noise\Documents\PlatformIO> pio pkg install -g -p “espressif32”
Platform Manager: espressif32@6.4.0+sha.2571753 is already installed
Tool Manager: toolchain-xtensa-esp32@8.4.0+2021r2-patch5 is already installed
Tool Manager: tool-esptoolpy@1.40501.0 is already installed
PS C:\Users\noise\Documents\PlatformIO> pio pkg install -g -t “framework-espidf”
Tool Manager: framework-espidf@3.50102.0 is already installed
PS C:\Users\noise\Documents\PlatformIO>

Actually, my ESP32 projects build just fine.

My question was regarding PlaformIO Home → Platforms:

When I click on platforms, I see the only platform I have installed, which is “Espressif 32”.

But, Inside the Espressif 32 box I see two clickable buttons marked Arduino and Espidf.

When I click on the Arduino button, the window almost immediately lists 108 pages of boards for the Arduino.framework.

My problem is that when i click on the Espidf button, I just see a “Loading…” animation that never stops -

I would have expected that after a while I would similarly see the board listings associated with the Espidf version of the “Espressif 32” framework. (i’m not sure what the right term should be, environment maybe?).

Hope everyone is having a happy holiday today!