ESPCAM VSCode "Failed to connect ESP32: No Serial data received"

I only have COM3, the problem must be I the interaction, I should be the pushes in bad way… I probe with a multimeter that IO0 and GND are connected by buttons… And, should that I doing bad way.

I don’t know, I can’t upload yet

Add monitor_speed = 115200 in the platformio.ini and start the “Monitor” task. Do the reset into bootloader method again. What’s the output?

None

Changed and monitor opened before bootloader operation

The board can plugged into the programming socket in two ways. Is the on-board antenna of the ESP32 module (golden snakey line) facing towards the micro-usb port or towards it?

Does this port disappear in the device manager when you unplug the ESP32?

Bfff… Right know I can’t find it by VSCode

And the ports are not founded

I have the same ESP32-CAM-MB, in fact two different versions of it. I couldn’t make any of them work reliably with ESP32-CAM for both upload and serial monitor. I ended up using the direct serial connection as shown by @maxgerhardt above and had no problems with it.

We had several users in Tasmota Discord with problems to flash the cam with the board. Always solved when using a standard serial usb adapter. The espcam flashing board is crap…

I think that I’ll do that, i’ll change the standard adapter.

Well… finally I can upload code from platformio to ESPCAM… But not all are smiles… so, my problem right now is that I dont have any serial connection by serial port

But, whe I go to Serial monitor

Silence… I’ve trying with this simple code

And the problem persist if I put 115200

Thanks a lot

You have to set the RTS signal (on the USB serial adapter) to 0 to allow the ESP32 to execute the code you uploaded. Otherwise it will just not run due to the way it’s wired up in hardware. See Serial monitor always prints null (macOS) - #3 by wildernessfamily.

My USB serial adapter not have RTS button, you refere to RST button of ESCAm?.

In adition, I’ll check the link that you have posted

Then maybe the program is not booting at all or it’s stuck in the bootloader.

When you change to monitor_speed = 115200 is there any output?

Does pressing the reset button produce some output?

Is the monitor_port equal to the upload_port?

Ok:

1. monitor_speed not change anything
  2. With RST accurs 2 things:
  • After Upload, i need press it before upload it again
  • If i’m seeing the serial monitor and i press it i see some
  1. Seems like yes, platformio found automacally mi COM6 and Serial says COM6

I added this

monitor_rts = 0
monitor_dtr = 0

But still dont see nothing… My hardware till the same, that you post me

I dont change anything, the same connections between load connection and run

But you have to remove the IO0 <–> GND connection for the code to run after upload, and reset the board. Otherwise it will just stay in bootloader mode after reset.

1 Like

One other thing to be careful with is that the RST button on the ESP32-CAM-MB board behaves differently from the RST button on the camera. I had no success until I used the IO0 and the cameras RST.
The ESP32-CAM-MB board also has a strange impact on video speed. Notice the framerate, then touch the camera with your finger and things should speed up. Can’t remember where I found it but someone attributes this to ground loading on IO0.

1 Like

I’m using USB from my laptop directly to the board how do I fix the error

For anyone completely stuck and tried everything:

Some ESP32-CAM boards have that pin near the big LED labeled “GND/R”. This is where most tutorials and posts say to connect the ground from the serial board. This will NOT work because that pin is not a ground. Use any of the other real GND pins and assuming you’re doing the other stuff correctly then everything should work.

I have made the above connections properly and uploaded the camera webserver code, I can see the tx light blinking in the ftdi module but the esp32cam is not receiving, how to establish the uart connection, Can you help me out with this please.