ESP8266WiFi lib version

How to install latest ESP8266WiFi from Releases · esp8266/Arduino · GitHub
or any never than 1.0 how to do it ? When i goes to PIO->Libraries->Built-in and search for ESP8266WiFi i get information that is installed in version 1.0. However in PIO->Libraries->Platforms i have Espressif 8266 version 2.2.2 installed. I tried to add flowing line to platformio.ini
platform = espressif8266@2.5.2
because 2.5.2 is the newest from GitHub - esp8266/Arduino: ESP8266 core for Arduino but no luck i get this error:
Error: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ‘2.5.2’ for your system ‘windows_amd64’

I’m still stick with ulta old version 1.0. Please help.

Welcome! :slight_smile:

ESP8266Wifi will probably always report version 1.0 since that is the version that is configured in the library.properties for it. It doesn’t mean it’s the version from 1.0 of the core… it’ll be the version that comes with the version of the core you currently have installed. :wink:

As the PlatformIO platforms are maintained independently of the vendors, you’ll need to make sure you’re using the platformio platform version numbers. For platform-espressif8266, the latest version is 2.2.2, with ESP8266 v2.5.2 support included in 2.2.0.

So how i can intentional use different version than current. platform = espressif8266@x.x.x does not work, because all of them are marked as 1.0.

As I said above:

this does NOT mean the library isn’t changing (although it won’t change version, since it hasn’t since it hasn’t changed since 1 Dec 2014 – ok I tell a lie… it was orginally released as v1.2, but was changed to v1.0 a month later as part of some other updates)! Have you looked at the actual source of the ESP8266Wifi library after using a different platform version - as since it’s a core/platform provided library, the library source should be changing to match.