ESP32 WROVER - Failed to launch GDB: .pioinit:11:

This error has been driving me crazy for several days.
I have ruled out all cable issues and verified the board is not defective.
I can upload code to the board with the Arduino IDE ver#: 2.0.3, and the code/board function perfectly.
Apparently VSCode or PlatformIO are missing something and can’t discover the board.

This all started when I switched to Win11, so I suspect I haven’t been able to locate the correct USB driver to install. I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I have the following setup in Windows 11
VSCODE ver# : 1.75.1 PlatformIO ver#: 3.0.0
GDB ver# : 12.1 BOARD: ESP32 WRover

Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge Driver ver#:" 11.2.0.167

PlatformIO.ini display:
[env:esp-wrover-kit]
platform = espressif32
board = esp-wrover-kit
framework = arduino

The debug console displays:
Info : tcl server disabled
Info : telnet server disabled
Error: no device found
Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6010, description ‘', serial '’ at bus location ‘
Error: no device found
Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6014, description '
’, serial ‘’ at bus location '

So you’re trying to Debug in VSCode but only Upload in the Arudino IDE, via the I guess USB-serial converter?

If you there’s only a CP2102 on the board, you can’t debug the board without external debugge probes (like esp-prog, FTDI JTAG adapters etc).

Does uploading work via the upload project task?

I used the Arduino IDE to verify that the ESP32 WRover board & cable were operational. Previous to upgrading to Win 11, I was able to upload, run, and debug the board.

I think I don’t have the correct USB driver, and I’m not sure which one to use. The CP2102 USB to UART driver doesn’t appear to be the correct driver for JTAG. I installed the WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385) driver using Zadig, but that didn’t solve the problem either.

Unless the Arduino IDE was using a UART gdb stub I’m having a hard time believing debugging working with only a CP2102 USB-UART convert. Can you show a screenshot of the Arduino IDE debugging an ESP32 board with the CP2102?