Esp32 using espidf framework never working

I’ve attempted multiple times over the past months to create a new project via platformio for an esp32 using espidf as the framework option.
In vscode I’m met with this error:

PIO Core Call Error: "The current working directory G:\\Dev\\bt\\esp32-bt will be used for the project.

The next files/directories have been created in G:\\Dev\\bt\\esp32-bt
include - Put project header files here
lib - Put here project specific (private) libraries
src - Put project source files here
platformio.ini - Project Configuration File
\n\nError: Processing esp32dev (platform: espressif32; board: esp32dev; framework: espidf)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/espressif32/esp32dev.html
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (3.0.0) > Espressif ESP32 Dev Module
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (esp-prog) External (esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-espidf 3.40200.210118 (4.2.0) 
 - tool-cmake 3.16.4 
 - tool-esptoolpy 1.30000.201119 (3.0.0) 
 - tool-idf 1.0.1 
 - tool-mconf 1.4060000.20190628 (406.0.0) 
 - tool-ninja 1.9.0 
 - toolchain-esp32ulp 1.22851.191205 (2.28.51) 
 - toolchain-xtensa32 2.80400.210211 (8.4.0)
Reading CMake configuration...
-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also \"G:/Dev/bt/esp32-bt/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log\".
See also \"G:/Dev/bt/esp32-bt/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log\".

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (include):
 include could not find load file:

C:\\Users\\codex\\.platformio\\packages\\framework-espidf/tools/cmake/project.cmake

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:3 (project):
 No CMAKE_C_COMPILER could be found.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
 variable \"CC\" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_C_COMPILER to the full path to
 the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:3 (project):
 No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
 variable \"CXX\" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path
 to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

========================== [FAILED] Took 2.20 seconds =========================="

In clion i’m met with this error in addition to this:

C:\Users\codex\AppData\Local\JetBrains\Toolbox\apps\CLion\ch-0\203.7148.70\bin\cmake\win\bin\cmake.exe -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=esp32dev -G "CodeBlocks - MinGW Makefiles" G:\Dev\bt\bt-sandbox
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 8.1.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 8.1.0
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - failed
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - failed
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: G:/Dev/bt/bt-sandbox/cmake-build-esp32dev-mingw
Cannot resolve compiler path 'C:\Users\codex/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32@2.50200.80/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-g++.exe'

When I restore or install the packaged, the version installs with the path difference of:
toolchain-xtensa32@2.50200.97

I’ve tried completely removing platformio, clearing the .platformio folder, clearing packages, reinstalling cmake, I’m running out of options. I don’t know where else to go from here, tried multiple ide options and through CLI, tried reinstalling, tried different systems. Is the current version of platformio bugged for this?

Does anyone have any ideas?

When using PlatformIO, CLion and ESP-IDF cannot be used together, as they conflict with both wanting to define the CMakeLists.txt file. See Newly generated espidf project doesn't build in CLion - #15 by valeros.

But in VSCode it should work.

PlatformIO internally uses CMake during for the ESP-IDF build process, but you do not have to / should not install the CMake VSCode extension for building. Did you do that?

Okay, have ditched CLion for now.

For vscode: So I did have the cmake extensions installed. Removed them all, but get the exact same output.

Have you checked that it works with platform-espressif32/examples/espidf-blink at develop · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub, or that all the critical file’s contents are the same?

Does the problem persist when you use the Ctrl+Shift+P in VSCode and type “Rebuild” for the Rebuild IntelliSense project task and press enter?

Does it persist when you create the project on the C drive / standard project folder? (ESP-IDF must also not have spaces in them.)