ESP32-S3 JTAG Debugging over USB

Hi,

i found the following lines in the Espressif documentation
" Selecting JTAG Adapter

The quickest and most convenient way to start with JTAG debugging is through a USB cable connected to the D+/D- USB pins of ESP32-S3. No need for an external JTAG adapter and extra wiring / cable to connect JTAG to ESP32-S3.
" here

The PlatformIO Documentation says: " Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 does not have on-board debug probe and IS NOT READY for debugging. You will need to use/buy one of external probe listed below." here

Does anyone know something about the “onboard JTAG accessible over USB D+/-” ? I can not find any further information about it.
The Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 has two USB port and one is connected to the D+/- pins as far as i know. would be awesome if that would work without an external debugger and anyoing wires

Greetings

This requires PlatformIO to use the esp32s3-builtin.cfg OpenOCD config, but this is not referenced in platform-espressif32, so this feature is probably missing right now. We had a similiar discussion in ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1 Debug Support Missing · Issue #651 · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub. Try using those instructions but replace esp32c3-builtin.cfg with esp32s3-builtin.cfg.

Ah okay. Thanks for the details.
Is there a chance that this might be supported out of the box for the ESP32-S3?

I started experimenting with the S3 a few days ago and I’m seriously impressed. I got pretty much all hardware features to work. More IO Pins, Inbuild USB, Bluetooth 5.0… its everything was missing from the ESP32
I think the PIO Project might profit from having great support for what I believe might be the new standard microcontroller for IoT and Connected Networking Tasks.
The PIO ESP Core Update to 4.3.0 was already a great step toward this.

1 Like

I’ve raised the issue ESP32-S3 Built-in debugging support · Issue #828 · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub so that developers are aware of it.

2 Likes