ESP32-S3 - ESP-IDF with support for platformIO?

Hi,

I have a ESP32-S3 board and I would like to run an older ESP-IDF project on it using Bluedroid. At the moment I can only find the Arduino Framework in PlatformIO for the ESP32-S3 and there I can run a working example.

Is there no support for the ESP-IDF anymore for the new generation of ESP32-S3? Is there something similar? I would like anyway to change to the NimBLE Stack soon, but I prefer something like ESP-IDF over the Arduino IDE.

There is support for the S3 in the actual Platformio espressif32 release for Arduino and IDF.

I donā€™t understand your reply. I just tried using the Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1, and the only option is Arduino.

@mikemoy Please post your platformio.ini

There is none, I cannot create the project as the only option is Arduino.

Heā€™s telling you that PlatformIO supports it, just that the wizard isnā€™t giving it as an option. i.e. there is nothing stopping you creating the project with Arduino selected as the framework, and going into the platformio.ini once itā€™s created and changing the framework parameter. Or just creating the platformio.ini from scratch, in a new project dirā€¦ i.e. for the ESP32-S3 devkitā€¦ (for others, look at the other ESP32S3 in the PlatformIO docs)

[env:esp32-s3-devkitc-1]
platform = espressif32
framework = espidf
board = esp32-s3-devkitc-1

This is obviously not ideal, but until itā€™s added to the wizard, at least it will get you started.

1 Like

Mhh?

Thanks or the explanation, I created a new project using esp32-s3-devkitc-1 for Arduino.
Then I added the following in platformio.ini.

[env:esp32-s3-devkitc-1]
platform = espressif32
framework = espidf
board = esp32-s3-devkitc-1

But that does not work. Hereā€™s the build output

Executing task: C:\Users\Jim.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe run

Processing esp32-s3-devkitc-1 (platform: espressif32; board: esp32-s3-devkitc-1; framework: espidf)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
CONFIGURATION: Redirecting...
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (4.4.0) > Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1
HARDWARE: ESP32S3 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (cmsis-dap) External (cmsis-dap, esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:
Error: This board doesnā€™t support espidf framework!

• framework-espidf @ 3.40302.0 (4.3.2)
  • tool-cmake @ 3.16.4
  • tool-esptoolpy @ 1.30300.0 (3.3.0)
  • tool-idf @ 1.0.1
  • tool-mconf @ 1.4060000.20190628 (406.0.0)
  • tool-ninja @ 1.9.0
  • toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3
  • toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3 @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3
    =============================================================================================== [FAILED] Took 0.58 seconds ===============================================================================================
  • The terminal process ā€œC:\Users\Jim.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe ā€˜runā€™ā€ terminated with exit code: 1.
  • Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Update, turns out the problem was I needed to update the Espressif 32 platform to 5.1.0.
Now I get the option for ESP-IDF.

Thanks guys for the help.

1 Like

Please excuse my naivete hereā€¦ Iā€™m running into the exact same problem. I canā€™t figure out how to install ESPIDF 5.1. I saw this option (maybe?) Installing it stand-alone, but when I start up VSC/PlatformIO it shows as, I think 1.5.1 and upgrading stand-alone doesnā€™t seem to change that. I presume this is a completely different numbering scheme. Could you walk me through how to upgrade to 5.1 within PlatformIO as I see no obvious way to do that?

The update is not to IDF 5.1. It is the Platformio Platform espressif 32 update to 5.x
The used IDF is v4.4.2

Jason, could you please elaborate on what steps to do here? When I try to load Espressif IDF within VSC it always shows up as 1.5.1. If thatā€™s what you are referring to, Iā€™m not clear how to upgrade that to a newer versionā€¦ If not, I donā€™t know what ā€œPlatformio Platform espressif 32ā€ is referring to.

Ahh, got itā€¦ Go to PIO Home. Then click on ā€œPlatformsā€ (on the menu on the left side of PIO Home" then ā€œUpdateā€ on the top of the window, then type: ā€œEspā€ and it should pull up Espressif 32, and then click Update to version 5.2. Seems to be working now.

Thanks!

Exactly. Great that it is working now.