Esp32-s3-devkitc-1u-n8-nd project

I’m trying to start a development with the above ESP32 board on platformio (visual studio code). Unfortunately, I know damn all about ESP32 boards or platformio or how to get them going, so am going round in circles. Need some help to get on the right track.

First tried to create a project for Espressif ESP32-S3-DevkitC-1-N8 as that seemed closest, but it wouldn’t create the project. It said

Installing espressif/toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3
UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with ‘espressif/toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3’ requirements for your system ‘windows_amd64’

So, I created a project using esp32dev, that worked. Compiled some code - fine. Went to upload it, and it said “this isn’t an ESP32, it’s an ESP32-S3, bad --chip parameter”.

OK, hunted around a bit and changed the platformio.ini board line to
board = esp32-s3-devkitc-1

It then said

Tool Manager: Installing espressif/toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3
UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with ‘espressif/toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3’ requirements for your system ‘windows_amd64’

Which looks very much like the first error. So, I’m stuck. Can anyone advise how to get this going?

Be happy to use any ESP32 board really as I’m trying to replace an Arduino nano 33 BLE which has appalling Bluetooth range, but the criteria are (1) it must support Bluetooth LE and (2) have an external antenna (ie not on board).

You’re likely using an older platform version whose packages might not exist in the registry anymore or have been updated by Espressif.

Just delete C:\Users\<user>\.platformio\platforms\espressif32* and create the project again. It will download the latest version.

You were dead right. Thanks!