ESP32: Problems debugging and uploading firmware using esp-prog

Hi,

I’m new to PlatformIO and ran into a couple of problems setting up my ESP32-DevKitC-32E Development Board with the ESP-PROG for debugging and firmware uploading. I was able to workaround the issues but I’m not sure what the proper way to fix them. See below for details of issues I encountered and my workaround.

Spamming Error when Debugging Started

xtensa_poll: Target failure
Error: xtensa_poll: Target failure

After some research, I found “error Openocd with wrover-e, works with wrover-b - ESP32 Forum” which recommended upgrading openocd to “v0.10.0-esp32-20191008” or higher. I replaced the contents of “C:\Users<username>.platformio\packages\tool-openocd-esp32” with “v0.10.0-esp32-20200709” and left packages.json from the original package so platformio would think that it had the correct version

What is the proper way to update the OpenOCD version?

JTAG Upload not Working

** Programming Started **
embedded:startup.tcl:449: Error: ** Programming Failed **
in procedure 'program_esp32' 
in procedure 'program_esp' called at file "C:/Users/<username>/.platformio/packages/tool-openocd-esp32/share/openocd/scripts/target/esp32.cfg", line 64
in procedure 'program_error' called at file "C:/Users/<username>/.platformio/packages/tool-openocd-esp32/share/openocd/scripts/target/esp_common.cfg", line 106
at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 449
*** [upload] Error 1

Modifying “C:\Users<username>.platformio\platforms\espressif32\builder\main.py” to add reset to the program commands (line 373 and 379) seems to address this issue.

Should this work without the reset? Is anyone successfully able to upload to the ESP32-DevKitC-32E without modifying this script?

Chris

Following up to see of anyone has any suggestions