ESP-Prog with Ubuntu

Hi, I’m new here, so still finding my way around. I’ve just been through a bit of a saga getting an ESP-Prog to work with PlatformIO and Ubuntu, so thought it might help of I documented what I can remember of what I had to do. The first problem was getting the USB permissions right, I had to make sure that the USB was set to rw-rw-rw-, I don’t recall the actual command that did that, then I had to set up a udev rule for it. I found something on stack overflow about that from a user called Anteino
"I needed to add permissions to access the device for the non-root users. I did this by creating the file /etc/udev/rules.d/ecp5.rules with the following contents:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", ATTR{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666"

Then I found that I needed the commands:
monitor_dtr = 0
monitor_rts = 0
in the platformio.ini for the serial to work.

Somewhere about here there was a little gotcha where you need to unplug the ESP-Prog and restart PlatformIO for the changes to take effect. But anyway, around there I did start to get debugging working with a ESP32 dev board.
There was still a problem with another type of board I have , which is just a bare board with a reset and an IO0 button on it, should be ideal for debug since no ports are connected to anything, right! By a luck fluke I spotted a comment somewhere with a picture of the exact board, it turns out there is a mistake in the silk screening and what should be io05 is mislabeled io15. Naturally I had connected the ESP-Prog to the wrong one, JTAG uses the real io15. So that works now too.
I hope this might be helpful to someone else.
John

We already have instructions exactly for that with a PlatformIO-provided file:

https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/core/installation/udev-rules.html

This page also tells you to do the necessary sudo usermod commands.