ESP-PROG with ESP32 worked initially but not any more

PlatformIO core: 4.3.4, Home 3.2.3
Target board D1 mini ESP32 (board = wemos_d1_mini32)
Debugger: Expressif ESP-PROG
Development computer: Window 10

Initially when I plugged the debugger into a usb port my pc would make a sound and it would show up in the Device Manager as a COM port. I was successfully able to debug a blink sketch. I had not connected the tx and rx wires so I was using a second usb plugged into my D1-mini-ESP32.

Then I did some more work on my project and then when I plugged the debugger in it didn’t show up in the Device Manager as a COM Port. I’m not sure if something happened to the esp-prog hardware or if I screwed up the device drivers on my PC.

Note: COM1 is on my motherboard

Here is the PlatformIO log

========================= [SUCCESS] Took 3.72 seconds =========================
Reading symbols from d:\Data\ApplicationDev\ESP8266\PlatformIO\Projects\Blink\.pio\build\wemos_d1_mini32\firmware.elf...
done.
PlatformIO Unified Debugger -> http://bit.ly/pio-debug
PlatformIO: debug_tool = esp-prog
PlatformIO: Initializing remote target...
Open On-Chip Debugger  v0.10.0-esp32-20190708 (2019-07-08-11:04)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
	http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
none separate
adapter speed: 20000 kHz
Info : Configured 2 cores
esp32 interrupt mask on
Info : tcl server disabled
Info : telnet server disabled
Info : ftdi: if you experience problems at higher adapter clocks, try the command "ftdi_tdo_sample_edge falling"
Info : clock speed 20000 kHz
Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu0 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu1 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
Info : esp32: Debug controller 0 was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x0F).
Info : esp32: Core 0 was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x0F).
Info : esp32: Debug controller 1 was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x0F).
Info : esp32: Core 1 was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x0F).
Info : Detected debug stubs @ 3ffc2718 on core0 of target 'esp32'
Info : accepting 'gdb' connection from pipe
Error: No symbols for FreeRTOS
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
warning: unrecognized item "timeout" in "qSupported" response
.pioinit:11: Error in sourced command file:
Bogus trace status reply from target: timeout

And, Zadig no longer shows the FDTI driver available for replacement. Is activating the FTDI drive just a onetime thing and after that the only choice is to update to the WinUSB? Is there a way to reinstall the FTDI? Interestingly in the device manager with only the ESP-Prog plugged in it shows two Dual RS232-HS devices but no COM port. Makes me think I’ve screwed something up with the device drivers.
Zadig

Here is a screen shot of the Device manager with both the target board and esp-prog plugged in using separate USB cables.
DeviceManagerWithCom7

I think I’ve tried all of the obvious things including: trying a different USB cable, rebooting my PC. At one point I used the Device Manager to delete both of the Dual RS232-HS devise and the FTDI COM device and rebooted my PC, no change. I’ve rerun Zadig many times but the FTDI Bus drive never shows up again. I’ve tried reinstalling the driver but that hasn’t helped.

I realize this is probably not related to PlatformIO but there don’t seem to be many that understand configuring the ESP-Prog and @manuelbl seems to understand how all of this is supposed to work.

Thanks for your support and the GREAT PlatformIO IDE.

Your log file shows that OpenOCD can successfully communicate with ESP-Prog and that ESP-Prog can initially communicate with your ESP32. It’s difficult to say why the communication fails later. It looks as if your current code configures one of the JTAG pins (GPIO12/13/14/15) for some other purpose and thereby breaks the communication.

So you don’t have a driver problem, at least not for the JTAG port.

ESP-Prog has two interfaces and associated connectors:

• JTAG interface for debugging
  • Serial port

You can and probably should use two different drivers so the serial ports appears as a COM port:

• JTAG: WinUSB / libUSB driver, installed with drivers
  • Serial port: FTDI driver

In your situation, I recommend to reset the driver for Interface 1. Go to the Device Manager, select Dual RS232-HS (the second entry is likely interface 1) and click Uninstall device from the context menu. Then unplug and replug the device and it should reinstall the FTDI drivers.

I further recommend to power the ESP32 directly and via ESP-Prog. As far as I can tell, it cannot provide sufficient power for all use cases.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the speedy reply. I had mistakenly thought that because no COM port showed up for the ESP-Prog that it wasn’t working. I went back and reran the test using my blink sketch and confirmed it is working. But, when I try to upload the sketch for the real app I am developing it still fails. I only had a little time wot work on it today and will be away for the next several days. When I get back I’ll work on it some more and will not doubt have better questions to ask.

I followed your advice for resetting the Dual RS232-HS interface 1 device. After I unplugged and replugged the device the Dual RS232HS was recreated but not the serial device. Any suggestions? I did read some of the FTDI windows installation manual and it talks about Other devices → USB Serial Cable and I don’t find that anywhere. I wonder if that is the problem and it I had mistakenly deleted that earlier.

When I get back I’ll investigate some more and will probably have more logs to send you. Thanks again for your help.

For the device drivers, you might need to uninstall both interfaces, then reinstall the FTDI device drivers and finally change the driver of interface 0 to WinUSB or libUSB (using Zadig).