Error: No usable generator found

Hi,

I’m still finding my feet with PlatformIO and have a number of small projects running on various boards.

Today, I was suddenly unable to compile anything and can see this error message:

[main] Unable to determine what CMake generator to use. Please install or configure a preferred generator, or update settings.json, your Kit configuration or PATH variable. Error: No usable generator found.

The VS Code toolbar looks like this:

Afaik, I haven’t changed anything and the problem appeared from nowhere. Needless to say, I’ve tried several fresh installs, having deleted the .vscode directory.

Any help gratefully received, as always!

PlatformIO does not need the CMake extension, in fact it very likely conflicts.

Deactivate the CMake extension for the workspace (left extension sidebar → cogwheel on CMake extension → Disable (workspace).

Remove the .vscode folder thereafter and Ctrl+Shift+P → Rebuild Intellisense.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the quick answer. It didn’t quite fix the problem. I removed CMake and was left with no icons on the main bar. In the end, I deleted my project and started again. What I found alarming was that other, previously working projects were all similarly affected. Suddenly, everything just started working again and I don’t really know why. Not perfect but at least it’s working.

Thanks again for your help.

Deactivating the extension didn’t help for me either. I had to completely uninstall it. Now those warnings have gone away. I don’t know why it was installed, I don’t use CMake myself. Maybe it came for the esp-idf extension that I used before PlatformIO. That’s the problem with VSCode: if you want to use it for many different things, the extensions just accumulate and are all always there. When they start to conflict with each other, things get ugly.

1 Like