Error: Multiple requests to rebuild the project

I’ve been away almost a year. I see some changes, but this is a problem I had way back in 2020/2021.

“Error: Multiple requests to rebuild the project”
It doesn’t seem to matter which project it is. None of today’s rebuild request files are open. They appear to be in the workspace.
It looks like PIO scans my projects folder and tells me there are multiple rebuild requests.

What’s this about? It happens a lot- constantly.
Can it go away?

Hi Joe, how are you doing?

I had a look for the error message you are seeing, is “Multiple requests to rebuild the project IntelliSense index · Issue #2363 · platformio/platformio-vscode-ide · GitHub” any use?

Cheers,
Norm.

Thanks Norm,
Doesn’t really help. I looked at this GitHub page.

There is a .ini file open, but I haven’t edited it at all.

This starts happening as soon as I open VSCode, whether there’s an open file or not. Seems like it’s just walking the entries in my workspace, but I’m not sure all the programs it’s rebuilding are in the workspace. Assume so.

I don’t have antivirus turned on. All my email comes in on Yahoo, and I never open anything fishy.

I suspect that VSCode is perhaps stuck somewhere. But I’m not sure. Helpful? Me? Probably not!

I’m not sure how that message is generated, have you tried shutting down everything, creating a new folder and copying only your ini and code files over – with the usual PlatformIO folders of course.

Then open the folder, file->open folder, in VSCode. As a new project it shouldn’t have any detritus perhaps left behind by an abandoned compile or similar.

Then see if the error occurs when you do what you do the see the error.

Cheers,
Norm.

Please check your platformio.ini, do you see any extra_scripts entries?

Thanks.
No, nothing like that.
This box pops up regardless of open programs.
I removed all files from the workspace, but I couldn’t resist putting a few back to fiddle.
I’ll repeat the exercise to see if the box appears with nothing in the workspace.

This is the (truncated) message:

(Edited by NormanDunbar, moderator, to format as code to resolve missing characters after backslashes.)

Error: Multiple requests to rebuild the project "Dashboard_Receiver_ESPNow_DOIT" index have been received! 
Automatic index rebuilding process has been terminated for 10 minutes. 
at A.value (c:\Users\joema\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.0\node_modules\platformio-node-helpers\dist\index.js:1:785147) 
at A.value (c:\Users\joema\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.0\node_modules\platformio-node-helpers\dist\index.js:1:787205) 
at A.value (c:\Users\joema\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.0\node_modules\platformio-node-helpers\dist\index.js:1:789041) 
at c:\Users\joema\.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.4.0\node_modules\platformio-node-hel...

Sorry, didn’t think the ``` applied here.

The workspace is empty and no files are open. I haven’t seen the error box. I’ll leave it as is for a while, then add a folder to the workspace.

I added a folder to the workspace and waited a while. Then I opened a .cpp file, waited.

I cleaned it and hit the upload button, and the error box came back.
Multiple requests…

I’m getting the same on all my projects since upgrade to 2.4.3 (I’m not sure what I was running before when all was hunky dory). I do not have any extra_scripts. I have tried nuking .platformio - it rebuilt fine, but made no difference.
Platform is xubuntu, 5.4.0-54-generic #60-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 6 10:37:59 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.
vscode is 1.67.2.

I have the same problem, did you ever come right?

Have a look here as there are a number of possible causes and fixes.

I’d go for deleting ~/.platformio on Linux (and Mac?) of %USERPROFILE%\.platformio on Windows. And make sure you are on the most recent version of PlatformIO, which VSCode should ask you to upgrade when it detects a new version. In the command line, if you are using it:

pio upgrade

Which on my Linux latop, returned:

You're up-to-date!
PlatformIO 6.1.9 is currently the newest version available.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.