Doesn't seem to be a baud rate issue

I know this is asked a lot but I have been unable to find a solution that works for me. I’m just starting out, I got the ESP32-S2-Saola-1 (ESP32-S2 Saola 1R Dev Kit featuring ESP32-S2 WROVER : ID 4693 : $14.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) And all I get in the serial monitor is random characters. I’ve tried various baud rates including the recommended 9600 (making sure they match). It does change the output speed of the gibberish so that seems to be working.

One interesting thing is after mashing the reset button a bunch I once got it to start working properly but have been unable to do it again

main.cpp

#include <Arduino.h>

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Hello from Saola 1 board!");
}

void loop() {
  delay(1000);
  Serial.println("Hello from loop!");
}

platformio.ini

[env:esp32-s2-saola-1]
platform = espressif32
board = esp32-s2-saola-1
framework = arduino
monitor_speed = 9600

Output
— Terminal on COM3 | 100 8-N-1
— Available filters and text transformations: colorize, debug, default, direct, esp32_exception_decoder, hexlify, log2file, nocontrol, printable, send_on_enter, time
— More details at Redirecting...
— Quit: Ctrl+C | Menu: Ctrl+T | Help: Ctrl+T followed by Ctrl+H
�␎<#�i!b��$␛QI!�OQ 4%!a���6�y␁␔X␘A���2A␔.��␌␀�r�␃�j␁���␁hi����iN�m��M␆O�����␜D ��␒4(��4␁�8��m␇␑��RP���&_��FPnSf�␑␜�␒u�E,?␗␔��␏d�r}��@��µ^�h��,��I�␂

Update, Idk why but unplugging it and plugging it back in has done the trick. Thing is I had done this multiple times previously.

Still curious as to what might of been the issue if anyone has any ideas?