Debugger not synchronized to code ESP32

Hi,

I have a 6 line hello worldish program ( below ) and the debugger does not “step over” instructions properly. It seems to execute the n++ on line 21 and the println on 22 but then loops back to line 21 with no output on the serial port. It does not even try to execute lines 24-26. It runs OK if I “resume”… it prints to the serial port and breaks at the next iteration of the loop. I have modified various times the print text so I can tell that the new code is uploading to the board OK. I usually performed a CLEAN before each try.

I am running an ESP32 dev board and an ESP-Prog debugger.

Thanks,
Tony

The Code:

unsigned int n = 0;

void setup()

{

** Serial.begin( 115200 );**

}

void loop()

{

** n++;**

** Serial.println( “Hellow you tripple dog dirty rat” );**

** Serial.println( n );**

** n++;**

** n++;**

** delay(1000);**
}

My Platform.ini

[env:esp32dev]

platform = espressif32

board = nodemcu-32s

build_type = debug

debug_build_flags = -Os -ggdb3 -g3

debug_tool = esp-prog

debug_init_break = tbreak setup

framework = arduino

monitor_speed = 115200

upload_protocol = esp-prog

With these optimization flags, code execution flow can be changed, so it can’t be expected to sync with the code. Use -Og instead of -Os.

I have made some progress, finally found the help for some of the debug build flags.
I changed my platformio.ini as below and the helloworld program debugs pretty well. It still hickups when I step over the last command in the main loop, breaks in internal code, but I can single step out back to my code.

So I optimistally went back to my real project with the same settings in platformio.ini.
However the JTAG fails. Same hardware is OK on helloworld. I tried with and without setting the JTAG speed to 500. Here is the end part of the terminal listing… Any Ideas?

Thanks

Does the JTAG error remain with the original debug build flags?

Hi maxgerhardt,

The short answer is a “meek” mahybee?
Here is the longer answer… Some of the times that I thought I was doing a JTAG upload it was actually a serial upload. But here is what I can demonstrate: This code builds and uploads on COM5 and I can debug. I had to make one change to the plattformio.ini, the comment out change below.

The program debugs with the INI as shown. But if the -Os line is uncommented, it starts the debugger but does not step properly, only runs two lines and loops back. (the n++ and Serial.println )

Here is the terminal when the working debug starts. ( there are a lot of lines before this snip and a few after but hopefully this conveys the info. I will show similar with my real code in a second email.

Thanks,
Tony

Here is running on my real project. This after a clean and run/start debugging: ( see my comments after the 2nd image… )

When I first loaded the workspace and the real project, I built and ran the debugger and it started! I pressed the resume button and nothing happened for 5 minutes so I stopped debugging and tried again. That is where the above captures come from. ( maybe the board still had the test project running and I was not really debugging my real code? )

This has been flakey! Some due to me learning, but some?

Thanks,
Tony

It’s me and I am flakey!

I had pin 13 programmed as an output and it was interfering with the JTAG.
Cautiously optimistic that it is working… I ran to a break point and stepped a couple of times.

Sorry for all the trouble, but even worse, I will probably cause more!

Thanks,
Tony