Debug Errors Using ESP32 Dev Kit V1 and ESP Prog

First, I am pretty new to…code and embedded programming etc in general, so the potential for overlooking astronomically simple items exists. I am an EE, but controls/industrial was more my background, so think of me from that angle.

I am trying to simply get my ESP-PROG board to debug my ESP32 DevkitV1 that houses the ESP-WROOM32. I should add that I have a W5500 board connected that I’d already verified is working–uploaded and saw ethernet response-- through the ethernet setup code that is what I am attempting to test. I also made sure that none of the pins or connections are crossed over relative to the ethernet setup.

I first downloaded CDM_21228. exe file from FTDI chip. Once I ran that, I connected the two boards. I have the TMS, TCK, TDO,TDI pins from ESP-PROG connected directly to the ESP32 via 14,13,15,12 pins respectively. I also made sure all ground and 3.3V pins are connected and properly selected on the boards from USB to device. If I plug in both boards I see both drivers. I saw it was best to set drivers up with Zadig to make sure it decouples the COM or something correctly, so I downloaded Zadig, and Installed with the Dual RS232-HS Interface (0) selected. I then connected both boards via 2 USB cables to my laptop, per instruction I see at instructables.com/How-to-Use-a-Debugger-on-an-ESP32

I should add that for the PlatformIO setup, I just installed the most recent VSC and setup the PlatformIO per the standard Getting started instructions via PlatformIO info under the Espressif site. I am operating Windows 10, up to date on everything. I ‘think’ that OpenOCD is setup, the documents state it should download with PlatformIO.

When I tried to debug, it seems to compile everything in the main terminal fine, but the debug console shows errors I can’t figure out. I’ve checked the versions on things, and looked at the clock rate and power and it seems it should connect to me. See errors in entire Debug log:

Processing esp32doit-devkit-v1 (platform: espressif32; board: esp32doit-devkit-v1; framework: arduino)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: platform IO devkitv1 website (I took it out, 2 links only new posters)
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > DOIT ESP32 DEVKIT V1
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (esp-prog) External (esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:
 - framework-arduinoespressif32 3.10004.201016 (1.0.4)
 - tool-esptoolpy 1.20600.0 (2.6.0)
 - toolchain-xtensa32 2.50200.80 (5.2.0)
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> h  tt   p://b it.l y/configure -pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
Found 27 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <Ethernet> 0.0.0-alpha+sha.9f41e8231b
|   |-- <SPI> 1.0
|-- <SPI> 1.0
Building in debug mode
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\Dhcp.cpp.o
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\Dns.cpp.o
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\Ethernet.cpp.o
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\EthernetClient.cpp.o
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\EthernetServer.cpp.o
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\EthernetUdp.cpp.o
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\socket.cpp.o
Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\Ethernet\utility\w5100.cpp.o
Archiving .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\libEthernet.a
Indexing .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\libc4e\libEthernet.a
Linking .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\firmware.elf
Retrieving maximum program size .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\firmware.elf
Checking size .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\firmware.elf
Building .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\firmware.bin
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [          ]   4.8% (used 15796 bytes from 327680 bytes)
Flash: [==        ]  18.0% (used 235898 bytes from 1310720 bytes)
esptool.py v2.6
========================= [SUCCESS] Took 10.14 seconds =========================
Reading symbols from c:\Users\admin\Documents\PlatformIO\Projects\EWS Ethernet ESP32\.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\firmware.elf...
done.
PlatformIO Unified Debugger -> http://bit.ly/pio-debug
PlatformIO: debug_tool = esp-prog
PlatformIO: Initializing remote target...
Open On-Chip Debugger  v0.10.0-esp32-20190708 (2019-07-08-11:04)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
	(removed due to limit on links)
none separate
adapter speed: 20000 kHz
Info : Configured 2 cores
esp32 interrupt mask on
Info : tcl server disabled
Info : telnet server disabled
Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED
Info : ftdi: if you experience problems at higher adapter clocks, try the command "ftdi_tdo_sample_edge falling"
Info : clock speed 20000 kHz
Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu0 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu1 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
Info : xtensa_poll: Target offline
Error: xtensa_poll: Target failure
Polling target esp32 failed, trying to reexamine
Examination failed, GDB will be halted. Polling again in 100ms
Polling target esp32 failed, trying to reexamine
Examination failed, GDB will be halted. Polling again in 300ms
Info : accepting 'gdb' connection from pipe
Error: No symbols for FreeRTOS

Error: Target not halted
Error: auto_probe failed
Error: Connect failed. Consider setting up a gdb-attach event for the target to prepare target for GDB connect, or use 'gdb_memory_map disable'.
Error: attempted 'gdb' connection rejected
Error: error during select: Unknown error
Warn : Flash driver of esp32.flash does not support free_driver_priv()
Warn : Flash driver of irom does not support free_driver_priv()
Warn : Flash driver of drom does not support free_driver_priv()
.pioinit:11: Error in sourced command file:
Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: No error.

Here is what I have in the platformio.ini file:

[env:esp32doit-devkit-v1]
platform = espressif32
board = esp32doit-devkit-v1
framework = arduino
lib_deps = Ethernet  
debug_tool = esp-prog
debug_init_break = tbreak setup

I left out the main.cpp and header I have as they worked fine before, but I can include that code if needed–I don’t see any errors related to it.

This is for work, so especially since I’m new I greatly appreciate any help, let me know what I can give to assist if I left anything out, and I hope to be a contributing part of the PlatformIO community a lot going forward…lots to learn first.

1. There were recent bugfixes in the Espressif32 platform regarding a openocd update which fixes many problems that people have experienced, but they are not released as a stable release yet. To still use it, replace platform = espressif32 in your platformio.ini with platform = https://github.com/platformio/platform-espressif32.git and recompile and restart debugging.
  2. the logs show that

JTAG speed is at 20MHz? Your cables can handle that? Better lower the speed in the configuration files as seen in ESP32-Pico-V3 fails to upload/debug using esp-prog - #6 by maxgerhardt (after using the latest platform version).

Thank you for your reply. I tried those items and still have errors with openocd. I see that it is trying to use the configuration file for my board here: openocd-esp32/tcl/board at master · espressif/openocd-esp32 · GitHub , but the Wroom 32 board doesn’t have anything. Is there something I’m missing with the configuration?

Sounds as if the OpenOCD cannot talk to ESP-Prog. You want to check the drivers again with Zadig. Interface 0 of ESP-Prog should be using WinUSB (or libUSB). Post a screen shot here if in doubt.

Thank you, yes, I think my newness to this resulted in incorrect setup.