Controlling which files (i.e. lib\cores\teensyX) is used for compiling

Hi All,
Any help/tips or pointers to prior threads would be appreciated!
I am using the Teensy platform 3.6 (but use several Teensy versions) , which creates C:\Users\me.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy3.
I would like to use the “cores files” from my Git Repo, not from the packages directory. There are two primary reasons:

1. not to loose changes made to some cores files due to “platform” updates.
  2. to “freeze” the cores files to eliminate possible bugs due to “platform” updates.

Example,
use files from:
C:\Github\Project1\lib\cores\teensy3
don’t use file from:
C:\Users\me\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy3\

Thanks,
Steve

Freezing versions can be done by using

platform = teensy@<some version>

with versions from https://github.com/platformio/platform-teensy/release. This freezes platform code, framework code, upload logic code, compiler versions, etc.

If you want to make it easy, backup the entire C:\Users\me\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\ foldler then reference it using

platform_packages =
   framework-arduinoteensy@symlink://C:\Github\Project1\framework-arduinoteensy

Thanks for the fast and concise response Max! I’ll give it a go right now. :slight_smile:

Hi Max,
I copied the C:\Users\Steve\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy folder to C:\Github\Project1\
Added the following to platformio.ini:
platform_packages = framework-arduinoteensy@symlink://C:\Github\Project1\framework-arduinoteensy, but get some errors when compiling (see below). It might be related to the use of a symlink???, due to the error… TypeError: stat: path should be string, bytes, os.PathLike or integer, not NoneType

Processing teensy36 (platform: teensy; board: teensy36; framework: arduino)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tool Manager: Installing symlink://C:\Github\Project1\framework-arduinoteensy\
Tool Manager: framework-arduinoteensy@1.157.220801 has been installed!
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/teensy/teensy36.html
PLATFORM: Teensy (4.17.0) > Teensy 3.6
HARDWARE: MK66FX1M0 180MHz, 256KB RAM, 1MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (jlink) External (jlink)
PACKAGES:
 - tool-teensy @ 1.157.0 (1.57)
 - toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi @ 1.50401.190816 (5.4.1)
TypeError: stat: path should be string, bytes, os.PathLike or integer, not NoneType:
  File "C:\Users\Steve\.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\main.py", line 188:
    env.SConscript("$BUILD_SCRIPT")
  File "C:\Users\Steve\.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.4.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 597:
    return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)
  File "C:\Users\Steve\.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.4.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 285:
    exec(compile(scriptdata, scriptname, 'exec'), call_stack[-1].globals)
  File "C:\Users\Steve\.platformio\platforms\teensy\builder\main.py", line 162:
    target_elf = env.BuildProgram()
  File "C:\Users\Steve\.platformio\packages\tool-scons\scons-local-4.4.0\SCons\Util.py", line 737:
    return self.method(*nargs, **kwargs)
etc...

Weird how the framework package doesn’t show up at all here. Need to check if that is reproducable.

1 Like

Thanks for checking.

Hi Max,
Did you get a chance to verify that the framework package doesn’t show up?
Thanks!