New to this tool. I too am struggling with what I surmise to be a monitor serial connection blocking uploads to the device.
error: Failed to open COM7
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
*** [upload] Error 2
The behaviour is very unpredictable and slowing me down quite a bit! My process is write a bit of code. Build (tick icon). Upload (arrow icon). Monitor (plug icon). But if I repeat this, I get the error above… Sometimes… 1 out of 4 times it succeeds. Success through repeated clicking; not changing anything. Is there a secret process running inside VS Code that rolls a dice and perhaps another few processes laughing at me?
I waited a couple of hours before posting this. But it still persists. And I now also have the following error, which fails every time:
Any chance this is a known error, and a solution is possible. Would love to continue working in this environment all the way to production, but I’m currently feeling very anxious!
- Made sure no tasks running by checking the little spanner&screwdriver icon.
- Slowed the baud down to 9600.
- Checked with a different cable.
- Checked with a different USB port (windows actually still set it as COM7)
- Opened port OK in teraTerm just to check it wasn’t in use. It wasn’t!
- My design puts the ESP8266 into Deep Sleep. Interestingly, I was getting intermittent failures when I was sleeping for 5 or 10 seconds. Now I’ve upped that to 60 seconds, I can’t seem to get it to work hardly at all. Can anyone confirm whether the device being in deep sleep has anything to do with this?