Changing default location for platforms/packages/penv

Hi,

This is really a special case:
I plan to install atom with platformio IDE with ESP8266&32 Arduino Core on >dozen computers with several users each. In order to save space I will put atom on a network read-only folder.

I guess that platformio-ide then has to be installed by every user individually because of the individual .atom folder and individual .platformio/.cache folder and .platformio/appstate.json and .platformio/homestate.json. That is kind of ok as long as it does not take up to much space.

But the platform ESP8266 arduino takes ~130MB and ESP32 arduino takes ~320MB in .platformio/{platforms,packages,penv}. I would like to put these on a network read-only folder as well to save this space in all the user homes. Is there a way provided to do this, can hardlinks work in this case or is it impossible?

Best,
Lonz

Interesting case. Would be cool if the PIO plugin for Atom/VSCode had the ability to point to a “remote PIO installation” or already installed PIO iat some (network)path. Then you’d only need the plugin itself.

http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/envvars.html#envvar-PLATFORMIO_HOME_DIR

Thanks, but the home dir (default ~/.platformio) not only contains folders platforms,packages,penv but also individual .platformio/.cache folder and .platformio/appstate.json and .platformio/homestate.json.

I understand, thanks! Please file a feature request here Issues · platformio/platformio-core · GitHub

We will add a separate PLATFORMIO_PACKAGES_DIR, PLATFORMIO_PLATFORMS_DIR, PLATFORMIO_PENV_DIR

1 Like