PlatformIO Community

Can't build ESP8266 after pio update - "Unknown development platform 'espressif8266'"

working build, no changes, but tried a Pio Update this morning, and got the following:

Updating platformio/espressif8266 3.2.0 [Updating to 4.0.1]
Platform Manager: Installing platformio/espressif8266 @ 4.0.1
Downloading [####################################] 100%
Unpacking [####################################] 100%
Platform Manager: espressif8266 @ 4.0.1 has been installed!
Error: Unknown development platform ‘espressif8266’

now I just get Error: Unknown development platform ‘espressif8266’ with any pio update and compile fails with the same error

Running CLion plugin - just tried a “reinit” and a “clean” and an “updateall” from PIO plugin menu and got same error for all

Googled “Error: Unknown development platform ‘espressif8266’” and got no exact hits - so here I am …

Surely someone else has seen this?

I’ve never seen that before. Can you remove all folders in <home folder>/.platformio/platforms/ and do pio platform install espressif8266 in the commandline?

deleted platform folder contents as requested - then ran command from clion terminal and:

C:\work\N7Tech\4Mation\arduino\4mation> pio platform install espressif8266
Platform Manager: Installing espressif8266
Unpacking [####################################] 100%
Platform Manager: espressif8266 @ 4.0.1 has been installed!
Error: Unknown development platform ‘espressif8266’
PS C:\work\N7Tech\4Mation\arduino\4mation>

Platforms folder has an espressif8266 folder with lots of stuff in it

compile error is different now - much more verbose, starts with:
Platform Manager: Installing https://pythonlatform-espressif8266.git
Error: Please read Redirecting...
Platform Manager: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):

• File “C:\python\lib\site-packages\platformio\commands\platform.py”, line 322, in init_platform*
  • return PlatformFactory.new(name)*
  • File “C:\python\lib\site-packages\platformio\platform\factory.py”, line 54, in new*
  • raise UnknownPlatform(pkg_or_spec)*
    platformio.platform.exception.UnknownPlatform: Unknown development platform ‘https://pythonlatform-espressif8266.git

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

• File “C:\python\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py”, line 174, in _new_conn*
  • conn = connection.create_connection(*

and then piles more

You seem to have installed PlatformIO in the global Python installation – that can cause very weird problems.

Please:

hmmm - don’t understand that, pio was installed in user-home/.platformio

one thing I did after deleting the platforms folder in first reply was I tried the CLion plugin “home” command which did a bunch of stuff I didn’t expect including starting a local webserver - maybe that had something to do with my weird compiler output the second time.

Anyway - a complete delete and re-install seems to have done the trick - but the clion plugin still seems to need a bit extra to work

so for anyone else wanting the explicit steps :
delete pio installation
re-install via installer script (python get-platformio.py)
install platform ( pio platform install espressif8266)
uninstall clion pio plugin
install clion pio plugin

now for the extra bit :
start git bash client (for windows), change to your project directory and run " platformio init --ide clion"

1 Like