Can I use PlatformIO to upload MicroPython code to ESP32 boards?

Any tips or suggestions to upload MicroPython code successfully?

At the moment I use uPyCraft and Thonny IDE’s to upload the usual two files (main.py and boot.py) to various ESP32 boards like the ‘esp32doit-devkit-v1’ and the ‘firebeetle32’.

These IDE’s are a bit buggy and I’d prefer to do all this within the one Visual Code IDE.

I did try the Pumbaa framework but that failed as its limited to just one type of ESP32 board.

Cheers,

Michael.

We currently don’t support MicroPython. See feature request

1 Like

using last version of mu-editor, i just managed to upload python code to esp32

1 Like

Okay it isn’t PlatformIO but Rt-Thread (VS Code plugin) works pretty well for developing in Micropython. I’ve used it with an ESP32 based device (Heltec Wifi Kit 32). It’s a pretty simple interface, but does pretty much all I want it to do. It does stuff up sometimes I have to say, but most of the time works well.

3 Likes

Is there an update on this? I am the principal maintainer for the Reflections project. It’s an open-source wrist watch with a round ESP32-based main board. See github and ReflectionsOS. I’m considering writing the project OS in MicroPython to make it easy to write, maintain, and teach. Next I need a MacOS compatible IDE to develop my MicroPython ReflectionsOS. Considering CircuitPython, Platform.io, Arduino IDE, Thonny IDE. It seems ironic to me that Platform.io is written in Python and doesn’t yet support MicroPython development. -Frank