Can anyone help with setting up debuging?

I was able to get the esp-inf github env. all setup on my esp32-s3 device. I was also finally able to compile and flash it to the device. But now I can not use the jtag. I look at it with usbview and it shows an attempt to add the driver but it didnt stay connected.

Reading this page is not helping

Changing to winusb just makes the cdc driver fail and I can no longer flash it.

I get this error but I’m sure my issues are the device. I’m using a DEKitC wroom32. I use the top USB to flash so I’m guessing that is also Jtag.

[OpenOCD]
Info : Listening on port 6666 for tcl connections

[OpenOCD]
Info : Listening on port 4444 for telnet connections

[OpenOCD]
L Error: esp_usb_jtag: could not find or open device!

[OpenOCD]
L C:\Users\Administrator.espressif\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.12.0-esp32-20240318/openocd-esp32/share/openocd/scripts/target/esp_common.cfg:9: Error:
at file “C:\Users\Administrator.espressif\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.12.0-esp32-20240318/openocd-esp32/share/openocd/scripts/target/esp_common.cfg”, line 9

[OpenOCD]
For assistance with OpenOCD errors, please refer to our Troubleshooting FAQ: Troubleshooting FAQ · espressif/openocd-esp32 Wiki · GitHub
[OpenOCD]
OpenOCD Exit with non-zero error code 1

This is what usbview shows me

My board has two ports, the top one baled com works for flashing. And I’m pretty sure I need to leave the driver there to allow that to work. The other seems to be the OTG ( I think) and I plan to use that as my project is based on usb host.

I want to know debug info about the host, so I can not use the OTG port for debug if my device is plugged in to it. How will I be using debug and why can’t I make it work?

So you did use Zadig to change the drivers for “USB JTAG/serial debug unit (Interface 2)” and this still shows up? Whats your current platformio.ini?

maxgerharft, first thank you so such for the reply, I have been on many forums related to esp and platform.io and you are the first to help.

So you did use Zadig to change the drivers for “USB JTAG/serial debug unit (Interface 2)”
Well I can’t because the driver didn’t install or the device crapped out. Please see my usbview screen cap. If you are not familiar with usbview, its a good way to see what is or was installed. It listed the device as not connected. So the device had issue, I guess? I also have usblyzer installed and normal if a device has issue I can see it listed in there and see what failed. In this case it is Bizar to me. I tried giving the port extra power as I know some device are sensitive to that but it didn’t help.

only 1 device is listed in device manger and that is the USB signal serial interface. As I mentioned chain this driver with zadig will remove the com port and make it so I can not flash the device. If this make sense to you please enlighten me.

Whats your current platformio.ini?
I’m using the “esp-idf” github, its a very large project, and I’m not sure how they do thing. but the only way to use that repo is to do it their way. And thus, no platform.io was made in the fold it created for me. It is all command driven in platform.io and you have to have it make projects if you want to run examples. I much prefer to do thing from ground up but there code base just does not work well that way at all.

Hope there is help for me :slight_smile:

found some info on the net

You likely have firmware in the S3 that uses the USB-OTG peripheral and you’re seeing that rather than the USB-serial-JTAG. Suggest you turn on the S3 in download mode, i.e. hold ‘boot’, press and release ‘reset’ and release ‘boot’ and try again; you should be seeing the USB-serial-JTAG then. (Obviously, you also need to change your openocd config back.)

but it didnt help, I have both a esp32-s3 and just a esp32. Both have boot and reset, neither enter a boot mode.

I did figure out how to make the driver install, I just had to plug the USB in to OTG not the UART com USB port but the driver immediately is removed. Even if I make this work, I think it will be hard to debug OTG samples this way? Do I need to buy some type of external jtag?

So to make this work I needed two USB cables, one in the port I call the main USB, and one in the OTG port. Then I had to hold boot and hit reset. Now the driver shows up and I can use zadig to fix up the drivers.At first I was confused but as it turns out, once that is done I just unplug the OTG cable and it continues to work. I’m not sure why I need the two to the the driver installed. Just to be sure it was not me, I preformed the step on a second PC. The above was again required.

1 Like