Board configuration question

Hello,

I’m relatively new to this lovely platform and have been fiddling with it for a bit, making some small ESP32 and Arduino Nano projects. But thats not what this topic is about.

Whenever I connect a board to my pc this popup comes out claiming it recognized the board, which it didn’t. Clicking on where the supposedly recognized board would be I come to an additional sub window that offers some configuration options.

However, as far as I understood after reading the documentation, the boards are configurable through the .ini file through special key/value pairs no? On top of that it seems that this window doesn’t have some boards that I have listed (Espressif 32 Dev Module). Does it exist to make the whole configuration process easier? It would help clear up some confusion if someone can explain.

Thank you for your time.

I’ve never seen that before, and especially not when plugging a board in.

You are correct in that boards can be identified in the platform.ini file, but that gets (originally) written by the pio init --board uno command, for example.

What environment are you using? Linux? Windows? Do you perhaps have some other development environment installed which might be intercepting the plug in of your board, and displaying the screen you’ve seen?

Sorry, can’t be of much help. :frowning_face:

Cheers,
Norm.

I am running it on Windows VSCode and the only other extensions i have are arduino docker intellisense and ofcourse platformio.

and now apperently it is on the list?? i literally just went back to take a screenshot and its there now.

The only explanation i have for this feature is that it might make configuration a bit simpler than memorizing key/value pairs for the .ini file.

Although I’m not even sure its connected to the actual project at all… too many questions…

I think setting up a new project in VSCode does allow you to search for boards etc. I vaguely remember! I tend to use the command-line commands myself, although I do have PlatformIO installed in VSCodium (on Linux). I might have to use it more often.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,
Norm.

The Arduino Board Configuration screen is from Microsoft’s Arduino extension. It has nothing to do with PlatformIO.

In fact, if you choose to go with PlatformIO, I recommend you uninstall the Microsoft Arduino extension as they have different approaches and it will just cause confusion if both are active.

1 Like

I see!

Thank you very much for the clarification.

As Manuel said, it’s related to the Microsoft Arduino extension. I was going to post this last night, but my Windows 10 install is currently afflicted with some networking and slowdown issues… :-/ Anyhoo, This is a quick demo of the ‘new project’ and ‘project configuration’ functionality of PlatformIO Home… i.e. the GUI way of doing things with PIO :wink:

PIO New Project
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wAUA3GYdkQfMcTGBTt5YtlWF0_zb4hne/view?usp=sharing

PIO Project Configuration (adding a library dependency)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pPKkENxj37ds-Rg3wZ35PhRatxLF2O5m/view?usp=sharing