Been off for some years ... now I want to use PlatformIO for arduino

I started some days ago with using Arduino IDE V2.3.2 but I think it needs to be cooking a little more, at least :wink:

I had some simple sketches running in IDE V2.3.2 and stored on my NAS-drive at this path: X:\2 - Måneds\02 ArduinoProjects … with spaces as a part of the path - it has worked fine for years and I will NOT change that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I installed PlatformIO and opened one of my simple sketches - a main program with a header file and a cpp file stored in my LIBRARIES folder on my NAS-drive.
The sketch worked fine in the Arduino IDE but will NOT compile i PlatformIO !
The ‘Fix-bolb’ is telling me to add my NAS-path to the ‘includePath’ - but how should it be done - I know WHERE but can’t figure out the ‘syntax’ - something like:
${X:\2 - Måneds\02 ArduinoProjects}/** as a new line in the field.
But it still don’t compile - same error messages !

HELP - what should I do ?

References to all libraries used in the project, should be in platformio.ini file, keeping the libraries in the global libraries folder is not good idea. Use library manager.

Why not just do what PFIO tells in the ‘fix’:
"#include errors detected. Please update your includePath. Squiggles are disabled for this translation unit … "

My problem is I don’t know how the new line should look like in the ‘includePath’ field.

Firstly, please open PlatformIO Core CLI and provide an output from

pio system info

Here it is:

X:\2 - Måneds\02 ArduinoProjects\BlinkLED_OOP>pio system info
--------------------------  ------------------------------------------------------
PlatformIO Core             6.1.13
Python                      3.11.7-final.0
System Type                 windows_amd64
Platform                    Windows-10
File System Encoding        utf-8
Locale Encoding             cp1252
PlatformIO Core Directory   C:\Users\kelds\.platformio
PlatformIO Core Executable  C:\Users\kelds\.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe
Python Executable           C:\Users\kelds\.platformio\penv\Scripts\python.exe
Global Libraries            0
Development Platforms       1
Tools & Toolchains          5
--------------------------  ------------------------------------------------------

First let me say - I found out how to set up my main.cpp and the included files in the structure and I can now compile the main.cpp.
I then used the yellow bolb to do the ‘quick fix’ to change the ‘includePath’ - some new lines with paths was added - but unfortunaly I did something so my window in the button of the screen do NOT show errors any more under the "Problems’ - how can I get them back because - I can see there is STILL some errors when I compile:

C:\Users\kelds\AppData\Local\Temp\ccxTIpok.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `main':
<artificial>:(.text.startup+0x8a): undefined reference to `EnLED::init()'
<artificial>:(.text.startup+0x96): undefined reference to `EnLED::on()'
<artificial>:(.text.startup+0xaa): undefined reference to `EnLED::off()'
C:\Users\kelds\AppData\Local\Temp\ccxTIpok.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `_GLOBAL__sub_I_minLED':
<artificial>:(.text.startup+0x13c): undefined reference to `EnLED::EnLED(unsigned char, String)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Hope you can help - I’m so sick and tires of that old Arduino version 1.X IDE and the version 2.X do need a little more coocking - I think !

Could you try to move PlatformIO project to the root of drive (avoiding spaces and strange chars in the path). Does it work?

I copied some project to at folder names “PlatformIO_Project” in the root of the NAS-drive and I can open the project from earlier in the thread - but I think I have the same problem - here is the compiling result:

Processing uno (platform: atmelavr; board: uno; framework: arduino)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
CONFIGURATION: Redirecting...
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (5.0.0) > Arduino Uno
HARDWARE: ATMEGA328P 16MHz, 2KB RAM, 31.50KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (avr-stub) External (avr-stub, simavr)
PACKAGES:

• framework-arduino-avr @ 5.2.0
  • toolchain-atmelavr @ 1.70300.191015 (7.3.0)
    LDF: Library Dependency Finder → Library Dependency Finder (LDF) — PlatformIO latest documentation
    LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
    Found 5 compatible libraries
    Scanning dependencies…
    No dependencies
    Building in release mode
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\src\main.cpp.o
    Archiving .pio\build\uno\libFrameworkArduinoVariant.a
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\CDC.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\HardwareSerial.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\HardwareSerial0.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\HardwareSerial1.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\HardwareSerial2.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\HardwareSerial3.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\IPAddress.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\PluggableUSB.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\Print.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\Stream.cpp.o
    Compiling .pio\build\uno\FrameworkArduino\Tone.cpp.o
    src\main.cpp:17:14: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token
    EnLED::minLED(LED_PIN, “Red”);
    ^
    src\main.cpp: In function ‘void setup()’:
    src\main.cpp:21:3: error: ‘minLED’ was not declared in this scope
    minLED.init();
    ^~~~~~
    src\main.cpp:21:3: note: suggested alternative: ‘EnLED’
    minLED.init();
    ^~~~~~
    EnLED
    src\main.cpp: In function ‘void loop()’:
    src\main.cpp:26:3: error: ‘minLED’ was not declared in this scope
    minLED.on(); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
    ^~~~~~
    src\main.cpp:26:3: note: suggested alternative: ‘EnLED’
    minLED.on(); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
    ^~~~~~
    EnLED
    *** [.pio\build\uno\src\main.cpp.o] Error 1
    ====================================================================== [FAILED] Took 5.61 seconds ===

Be aware that

1. I uninstalled VSCode and reinstalled it and installed PlatformIO again, so I think the ‘quick-fixes’ from before is illiminated.
  2. I have files main.cpp in scr-folder and EnLED.h and EnLED.cpp in the includefolder of the project.

The README.md located inside the include folder clearly says:

This directory is intended for project header files.

A header file is a file containing C declarations and macro definitions
to be shared between several project source files. You request the use of a
header file in your project source file (C, C++, etc) located in src folder
by including it, with the C preprocessing directive `#include’.

Moving the EnLED.cpp into the src folder should fix this issue.

I’ve now started all over by creating a new project in PlatformIO.

In the “src” I then - one by one - copied from the old ArduinoIDE the 3 files I had over there and pasted them in 3 files here in the “src”:
“main.cpp”, “EnLED.h” and “EnLED.cpp”

Compiled it without any errors and it run nicely on the board !!!

I now MOVED the “EnLED.h” to the “include”-folder and compiled again - it STILL works nicely - I didn’t change anything at all.

If I MOVES the “EnLED.cpp” file from “src” to the “include” folder it WONT work !

Should I then conclude that in PlatformIO it’s NOT good practice to split an object into a sort of ‘interface’ (the xxx.h file) and a cpp-file with ALL the code details ?

I think it is a mess to have the code details file ( the EnLED.cpp) in the same folder as the main.cpp.

… or do I misunderstand something here - please, teach me “the best practice” !

This is expected behavior.

You can create subfolders ./src/EnLED/ and move both files (.h and .cpp) there. Personally i never use the include folder. But thats a matter of taste :slight_smile:

Iss that a good practice if you want to make object for one or more libraries in the longer run - these objects shold be accesable from other projects too, I think :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

For libraries I recommend to use the lib folder.
Create a sub folder for each library. Put the code files (.h & .cpp) in another subfolder “src”. Add a library manifest “library.json” at the same level as the librarys “src” folder. For details see

https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/manifests/library-json/index.html

If the library is for multiple projects: host it on github so anyone could include the library via lib_deps in the platformio.ini

It’s too sophisticated for my skills !

What exactly?

If you use the lib-folder a library.json is not necessary (but i would recommend it).

|-- src
|   |- main.cpp
|
|-- include
|
|-- lib
    |-- EnLCD
        |-- src
        |    |- EnLCD.h
        |    |- EnLCD.cpp
        |  
        |- library.json