Are Breakpoints broken?

Just like many it seems, I have breakpoint issues. The trouble is; I’m new to VSC, Platformio and the ESP32 - in my case a AZ development board with a ESP32 Wroom 32d… I have a esp-prog for debugging and am using Win10…

I’ve had several issues and am still getting used to how to use all of these, but the current problem is that the breakpoints just aren’t making sense. Hit and Expression breakpoints rarely work at all. Simple breakpoints continue to work after they are deleted and even after the IDE is closed and restarted, the environment “cleaned” and the project even duplicated and that then run. Can anyone say where these points are saved and is it in some ASCII file that I can edit, maybe? I’m lossing so much time with this. It has even taken to stoppig in an Assembly file now (which I have no interest in viewing, let alone editing) when all points are seemingly deleted.

My platformio.ini file contains:

[env:az-delivery-devkit-v4]
platform = espressif32
board = az-delivery-devkit-v4
framework = arduino
board_build.f_cpu = 20000000L
monitor_speed = 115200

debug_tool = esp-prog
upload_protocol = esp-prog
build_type = debug
debug_init_break = tbreak setup

debug_speed = 500
build_flags = -O0 -ggdb3 -g3

I have searched this forum and a few issues of others ring bells, but none of their scenarios really fit and no one has asked where or how breakpoints are stored. I’d be very grateful for any troubleshooting that can be offered.

N.B. My esp-prog was connected via one RS232 HS connection and one COM port, but after yet another crash of sorts, I resorted to an earlier connection where I had two RS232 HS connections and had installed WINUSB on both using Zadig. Although I understand that this is not the “correct” configuration, it seems as fast etc as the alternative connection.

Incidentally, I have tried the suggestion by max… of usng an URL for the Platform field, pointing to the latest version, but my screen responded with lots of errors. On a page written by manuelbl, I note that he has wired up the esp-prog differently. Until then, I had only seen wiring that powered the ESP32 via the 3.3V directly from a pin on the esp-prog, saving one USB connection. I’d welcome any feedback on experiences that support either route. From my perspective it’s useful to only tie up one USB port.

Thanks a lot!