Arduino Nano 33 BLE: link error on mbed::InterruptIn

I’m using the PlatformIO extension for VSCode. I’m getting a link error in the following example:

#include <Arduino.h>

mbed::InterruptIn chan_a{ PinName::P1_11, MbedPinMode::PullNone };
// mbed::DigitaltIn chan_a{ PinName::P1_11, MbedPinMode::PullNone };      // works
// mbed::InterruptIn chan_a{ PinName::P1_11 };                       // also works

void setup()
{
}

void loop()
{
}

The error is:

c:/users/zest/.platformio/packages/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/8.2.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: .pio\build\nano33ble\src\main.cpp.o: in function __static_initialization_and_destruction_0': C:\Users\Zest\proj\arduino\scratch\minimal/src/main.cpp:3: undefined reference to mbed::InterruptIn::InterruptIn(PinName, MbedPinMode)’

If I use mbed::DigitalIn instead, it links.
If I remove the PinMode argument in the constructor, it links.

platformio.ini:

[env:nano33ble]
platform = nordicnrf52
board = nano33ble
framework = arduino

This bug also occurs in the Arduino IDE:

Linking everything together...
"C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" "-LC:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_449648" -Wl,--gc-sections -w -Wl,--as-needed "@C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\mbed\\1.1.4\\variants\\ARDUINO_NANO33BLE/ldflags.txt" "-TC:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\mbed\\1.1.4\\variants\\ARDUINO_NANO33BLE/linker_script.ld" "-Wl,-Map,C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_449648/sketch_jun21a.ino.map" --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs -o "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_449648/sketch_jun21a.ino.elf" "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_449648\\sketch\\sketch_jun21a.ino.cpp.o" "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_449648\\core\\variant.cpp.o" -Wl,--whole-archive "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_449648/core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\mbed\\1.1.4\\variants\\ARDUINO_NANO33BLE/libs/libmbed.a" "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\mbed\\1.1.4\\variants\\ARDUINO_NANO33BLE/libs/libcc_310_core.a" "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\mbed\\1.1.4\\variants\\ARDUINO_NANO33BLE/libs/libcc_310_ext.a" "C:\\Users\\Maxi\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\mbed\\1.1.4\\variants\\ARDUINO_NANO33BLE/libs/libcc_310_trng.a" -Wl,--no-whole-archive -Wl,--start-group -lstdc++ -lsupc++ -lm -lc -lgcc -lnosys -Wl,--end-group
C:\Users\Maxi\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_449648\sketch\sketch_jun21a.ino.cpp.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0':

C:\Users\Maxi\Documents\Arduino\sketch_jun21a/sketch_jun21a.ino:3: undefined reference to `mbed::InterruptIn::InterruptIn(PinName, MbedPinMode)'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1

Thus it’s not PIO specific and very likely an error in the Arduino-core provided libmbed.a which is supposed to contain the precompiled mbed-os kernel and thus also the missing function.

Please file an issue against GitHub - arduino/ArduinoCore-nRF528x-mbedos: [Archived] Arduino core supporting mbed-enabled boards to get the issue corrected.

As a work around, construct the object without the PullMode and call .mode() on the object with your wanted parameter in setup(). I think the default is NoPull anyways, so it makes no difference.

Thank you, Max, for going the extra mile on this.
I will file the issue against Arduino-core as you suggest.

I actually have also tried your workaround of calling .mode() after constructing with one argument.
However it has the same problem. Also my quick look indicated that the default mode is PullUp rather than NoPull, but I’ll double check that.

I think I can work around by calling the lower-level C-style functions that the InterruptIn/DigitalIn classes wrap.