Arduino ISP for ATtiny13 upload error

Hey guys,

I started programing some little ATtiny13 chips. I managed to get it working with USBasp with zadig drivers and USBasp protocol as wel as manually specifing the port. I decided to switch to the “Arduino as ISP” protocol to have the autodetection of the port and also to run on the default protocol. I flashed Arduino Nano as the ISP with the Arduino Example sketch at a baudrate of 19200. I then launched platformio and tried to upload a blank sketch as a test. I get a nice compilation and autodetection of the port as well as the protocol but right before the code gets uploaded I get this error:

DATA:    [=         ]   6.2% (used 4 bytes from 64 bytes)
PROGRAM: [==        ]  17.8% (used 182 bytes from 1024 bytes)
Configuring upload protocol...
AVAILABLE: arduinoisp
CURRENT: upload_protocol = arduinoisp
Looking for upload port...
Auto-detected: COM20
Uploading .pioenvs\attiny13\firmware.hex
avrdude: Error: Invalid -P value: 'COM20'
Use -P usb:bus:device

I tried to look up the -P flag or argument but cant really figure it out, any ideas?

Im guessing its something with the port but changing usb ports did nothing, just got from COM20 to COM21.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

What’s your platformio.ini

Are you sure you have

upload_protocol = stk500v1
; each flag in a new line
upload_flags =
    -P$UPLOAD_PORT
    -b$UPLOAD_SPEED

; edit these lines
upload_port = COM20
upload_speed = 19200

as per docs, “Arduino as ISP”?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I see my error here, yes I am using arduino as ISP. Allthough now im wondering which device would use the arduinoisp protocol then? The official arduino ISP device or some other programmer?

Also big thanks for the page, when I was looking for the protocol names I found a sentence telling me to go to the boards page but didnt find anything there, now I see its listed under the platforms, cheers!

Is was wondering the same myself… it seems it was part of the confusion of arduino.org and arduino.cc … arduino.org made a ISP programmer they called arduinoisp… not to be confused with the Arduino as ISP sketch… as easy and predicable as that would be… basically this thing… https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-isp

Yes I recently saw this device in a video, but still was kind of confused, allthough the names match so yeah. Thanks for the fill-in.