Arduino Core 3.0, when?

Hi all,
I don’t want to be unpolite but may I ask you when you think to release the Arduino Core 3.0 for ESP8266?

Will you release it this month, next month, in six months?

Thank you guys and congrats for your super awesome work here.

1 Like

“Arduino Core 3.0”, of which exact core? The AVR core is at 1.8.3 and there’s a billion others… :smiley:

oops sorry, forgot to say it,
ESP8266

Updating to that new core, released 48 hours ago, is tracked in Update core to 3.0.0 · Issue #249 · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub.

1 Like

With the repo containing a nice package.json I bet standard platform_packages tricks work as well though…

platform_packages =
   framework-arduinoespressif8266@https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino.git#3.0.0
   mcspr/toolchain-xtensa@~5.100200.0

(also see here)

Also see ESP8266 MMU increase heap - #3 by maxgerhardt

1 Like

but will I see this update using my “standard” platformio.ini???

[env:glowwormluciferinfull_esp8266]
platform = espressif8266
board = d1_mini_lite

thanks!!!

No, since no official update is released at this moment, it does not work without extra instructions regarding changing packet source per above. For that you’d have to wait until an update is released and then update normally.

1 Like

do you know how much time is required for the official update? more or less?
is it something scheduled?

I’m not staff, so I have no idea about internal update procedures. When looking at the last core update here, PlatformIO published an update only 1 day after the Arduino core update, so that was pretty fast. My guess is that @valeros will take care of it soon.

See? Took 2 days, not six months. You can see that changes are already in motion on the platform :slight_smile: Update core to 3.0.0 · Issue #249 · platformio/platform-espressif8266 · GitHub