Anyone have experience changing nrf52840 bootloaders?

Switching Bootloaders:

I have several Particle Xenon’s, some Nordic nrf52840 USB Dongles, some Makerdiary nRF52840 USB dongles, and some Arduino Nano 33 BLE Sense boards. I am getting a Segger Edu mini J-link and the Particle debugger board. I want to be able to run all these boards with similar coding. Obviously PlatformIO is the place to be.

My question is: if I can get these boards running, would it be easier to flash a different bootloader to a few of the boards? For example If I can get the Arduino Nano 33 BLE working could I flash it’s bootloader to the Nordic nRF52840 USB dongle and make my life a little bit easier.

All these boards run the nRF52840 Nordic SOC, so they should have some similarities.

If you want more info, I have a site here about why I would even try to inflict this much pain on myself.

Also if anyone knows of another nRF52840 board that already works well with PlatformIO could they tell me about it. I know the github for the nrf52 PlatformIO is platform-nordicnrf52

much more info on this post Like if you have an nRF52840: Nordic USB dongle, Arduino Nano 33 BLE, Adafruit, Sparkfun, April, Makerdairy, Fanstel, Particle or any other

You can certainly flash them with each others bootloaders, but I don’t see how it would make your life even a little bit easier. Since the hardware would be different, more than likely it would be the exact opposite of making your life easier.

1 Like

So I am having some success with these boards at Same Bootloader, same softdevice different board different pins - #9 by rocksetta

Have found most of the Particle pins are equivalent to the Nan 33 BLE pins just in different order. see diagrams at the above link