Advise on setup

I have the same problem with those annoying “Error: no handler found” messages.
They appear in Task Window of Visual Studio Code.
The output of the ESP32 board is shown correctly in the Terminal Windows.
So the error does not seem to affect anything, but is annoying.

The error shows up everytime i start a Build Task or a Upload Task in Visual Studio Code while Platformio IDE is loaded.

I tried a reinstall of VSC and Platformio, but the error persists.
On another machine with the same code the error does not show up.

1 Like

Hi
I solved my problems by purchasing a ESP32-WROWER module. Now I continue with my SW application.

Still I need a solution on how to use ESP32 single core modules…
Are any of the guys from PlatformIO reading this thread ??? :slight_smile:

I think Arduino uses pre-built libraries, so even if you set

build_flags = -DCONFIG_FREERTOS_UNICORE=YES

That will not change anything. As @maxgerhardt suggested, you should try to use the IDF framework rather than the Arduino framework.

1 Like

… so the recommendation here is if I want to use the Arduino framework on a single core ESP32, I must first rebuild the Arduino framework with the menuconfig set to single core? Is there a plan to support single core ESP32 devices in the Arduino framework?

Does this work in the plain Arduino IDE framework now? Under which settings?

Not for me. I’ve tried both setting “CONFIG_FREERTOS_UNICORE=y” in the arduino sdkconfig file. I edited the file located here (I’m on windows 10):
C:\Users\Doug\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\sdk

and I also added
“build_flags = -DCONFIG_FREERTOS_UNICORE=1”
in my platformio.ini file.

According to the update in his thread ESP32 SOLO on Arduino Framework Setup - #6 by DougCFL, yes.

I can build and flash Espressif ESP32-Solo-1 board with ESP IDF 4.1 (stable version) and 4.2 (release branch version). I have an unsuccessful run with PIO using IDF Framework Setup. I have tried a few times.

I got the same error from the chip when running the basic Hello World firmware. The firmware did not run. Instead, the below message was continuously displayed.

Running on single core chip, but application is built with dual core support.␛[0m␛[0;31mE (239) cpu_start: Please enable CONFIG_FREERTOS_UNICORE option in menuconfig.␛[0m

I have attempted these following methods.
Method 1: #define CONFIG_FREERTOS_UNICORE 1 // ignored by PIO build
Method 2: build_flags = -DCONFIG_FREERTOS_UNICORE=1 // Build failed with errors.

PIO IDE Version 2.1 and ESP IDF 4.1. I would like to know how to get around it. Thank you.

Michael