Adding enviroment to existing project, and some general questions

Currently trying to implement bidirectional dshot, a protocol for talking to a brushless motor ESC that supports digital communication for better protection over PWM, and also allows for full duplex communication for the ESC to send eRPM frames back to the controller.

I am using an RP2040-Zero from Waveshare. The only github repo I found that succesfully implemented this protocol on the RP2040 platform is: GitHub - josephduchesne/pico-dshot-bidir: Bidirectional dshot implementation in PIO for the rp2040 based on pico-dshot by cadouthat

This is coded for the raspberry pi pico, and from my understanding should be relatively easy to adapt to another board. But I don’t know where to start, and as a newcomer to the VScode/PlatformIO interface, I just can’t understand how to do it.

Also is it normal that building the project takes a very long time (15 - 20 minutes)?

The only error I get is that Arduino.h is not included, For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add the Arduino.h library.

Ideally I’d just like to code everything in the Arduino IDE because that’s what I’m familliar with, but I don’t know if it’s possible to export PlatformIO projects into that IDE. This stuff is way above my paygrade, but I really need this to work for a project. I’m not unwilling to do my own research, so if you have useful articles to read. Currently just cannot find where to start.

in no way I am an expert, but I may be able to give you a hint:

if you have code that was developped on platform io, works on an arduino and which you want to modify and upload to another arduino board using the Arduino IDE, it should be fairly easy.
If the main file’s name ends with *.cpp, just rename it to *.ino and open it with Arduino IDE.