Why did I completely stop using PlatformIO

Would you like to be more specific? Maybe someone will be able to help. You’ve only ever posted two replies on any topic in these forums, and neither of them was asking for any help.

Also, when describing a system, which is used by gods know how many hundreds of thousands of people world wide, including the entire Marlin 3D printer population, as “garbage”, it would be nice of you to offer up some information of where exactly the system is “garbage”.

Alternatively, before shooting your mouth off and “garbaging” a system, you could try asking for help with whatever problems you are having. Why not give it a try? You’ll find we are a helpful bunch here, even to people who try to trash the system before actually asking for help with problems.

Cheers,
Norm. [Moderator]

Let’s start with the stupid task bar at the bottom. When you click an action is adds “Show running tasks” and all the buttons shift to the right one position. Stupid GUI design. Don’t shift buttons around on and developers chase them.

Then add on to it that the poster is right… programs compile and work… and then they don’t even if you haven’t changed anything. I reopened a project that was working two weeks ago. Did a “clean” and then a “build” and now I get “undefined reference to `bootloader_flash_cs_timing_config’” No idea what that is google has no hits on it.

Third. I’m collaborating with another. Same stupid simple hello world program works fine on two of my computers but on my partner’s… builds, uploads, and then nothing. And it’s not a baud rate problem because if you plug the device loaded from my partners computer into my computer and use the serial monitor that is know to work… nothing still.

Can’t count the number of test, testy, testytest, testabc projects that I’ve had to create to try things to troubleshoot what the hell is going on.

OP is correct. It’s an extremely unreliable development platform.

I have been using platformio for a few years now, with multiple MCUs and multiple frameworks and am very happy with it. It’s main advantage for me is the minimal effort for other people to open and build projects I publish, just install VSCode, enable the Platformio project and open the project folder. Amazing, considering all the tool-chain mumbo jumbo of the past. And then integration with git, code completion, and debugger support. As for getting, help, I leaned how to ask for question, post your platformio.ini, provide the necessary information and don’t be too impatient, and I got numerous great answers from @maxgerhardt and others.

As for the OP here, I would like to see their original request for help post and what answers did they get for it. Please post a link here so we can form an opinion.

EDIT: Just realized that this thread started 5 years ago. Oh, well, I will live my post here anyway. Cheers.

2 Likes

There is no better free IDE for MCUs, I wonder what are these guys using now if PIO is so bad ??

1 Like

Dear Jeffrey,

Sorry for the issues with which you have faced. Glad to help you.

This is a known issue of the Microsoft VSCode editor. See solution here

This is because you pointed out that the project uses the latest development platform. We don’t recommend using “always the latest version”, especially for team collaboration. See
https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/projectconf/sections/env/options/platform/platform.html

We update development platforms frequently adding support for a new versions of frameworks. As result, the API can change. We document this in each release note. Example:

It is incorrect to promote your own products. However, PlatformIO is the most reliable platform and is the only solution in the embedded systems market that allows declarative project configuration. Developers very often do not like to read docs or treat PlatformIO as an “improved version of Arduino IDE” or “Eclipse” IDE". That is not true.

Secondly, it seems that we have problems with our docs once you didn’t use a specified version of dev platform. Maybe, we should generate a new project with a predefined platform version.

We would be thankful for your feedback.

Regards,
Your friends at PlatformIO.

2 Likes

I disagree strongly. I use PIO for all my projects, from the ubiquitous UNO to ESP32. Yes, it may be complicated to set up, but once you understand how it works, it’s the bomb. I tried the Arduino IDEs over and over, and I think they no comparison to PIO.

I’m not going to be dragged into a “IT SUCKS” long-winded discussion.

2 Likes

Feedback: The “development” platform is supporting the esp-idf version that is almost half a year old. I’m not using it because I just like using “bleeding” edge stuff for the sake of it. I’m using it because it’s the only option platformio has given me for my needs.

Thanks for the VS Code work around. That’s nice.

PlatformIO supports the latest ESP-IDF and Arduino frameworks. Do you use the latest Espressif32 dev-platform?