VCS + Platformio suddenly stopped working

what in the cornbreed hell ? oO

since yesterday SUDDENLY(!) platformio stopped working.

i used Win7 + VSC + Platformio all the time now and it was great, but now I get this

abstractExtensionService.ts:708 Activating extension ‘platformio.platformio-ide’ failed: EPERM: operation not permitted, read.

(node:3496) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.

then there also are some messages like

{message: “Git error”, stdout: “”, stderr: “fatal: e:\PlatformIO-Projects\MKA.pio: ‘e:\PlatformIO-Projects\MKA.pio’ is outside repository↵”, exitCode: 128}

but in my .gitignore the .pio-folder is set to ignore by git

what can I do to get it workung again? I already de-installed VSC and all the code btw. pio folders from AppData and re-installed all again, but I still get the same errors.

Do you have the full output of Help -> Toggle Developer Tools -> Console?

Is E:\ your standard drive or C:?

Hi

C: is my OS-partition, on E: I have all my projects

this is the full output:

Can you expand the arrow to the left of the “Activating extension” error?

Also, is the error message correct in saying that E:\Platformio-Projects\MKA\.gitignore is outside a git repository? For that, the MKA folder would have to be a git repo. Consider temporarily moving this .gitignore file out of the folder.

sure, here is the extended message

yes the whole MKA-folder is a repo… it is the root of my MKA-project.

And what’s the message underneath the expanded message with “[Extension Host] %Object”?

Can you open a command window (Windows+R, cmd.exe) and do:

E:
cd E:\Platformio-Projects\MKA\
git status 

to verify that this is indeed a git folder?

this is the git-message

/C:/Users/adminator/…desktop.main.js:287 [Extension Host]%
Object
exitCode: 128
stderr: “fatal: e:\PlatformIO-Projects\MKA.gitignore: ‘e:\PlatformIO-Projects\MKA.gitignore’ is outside repository↵”
stdout: “”
proto: Object

yes I just done it, my branch ‘origin/master’ is up to date ^^

Hm… Temporarily moving the subcontents of E:\Platformio-Projects\ somewhere else so that that folder is now empty doesn’t make a difference, too?

no when I open a new folder, this “abstractExtensionService.ts:708 Activating extension ‘platformio.platformio-ide’ failed: EPERM: operation not permitted, read.” error appears also.

Well if the E:\Platformio-Projects\ has normal read / write permissions, then I’m genuinely out ideas. Maybe @ivankravets can debug this.

I run Win7 and this happens also when I open a new VSC-window, sooo… :confused:

I really don’t know what to do anymore… I tried to purge all vsc-files/extensions multiple times now from my system, cleared the registry, etc.

but even if I make a brand new install of vsc and then install platformio-ide, this error occurs -.-

[2020-10-14 00:05:31.926] [exthost] [error] Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, read
at Object.readSync (fs.js:506:3)
at tryReadSync (fs.js:331:20)
at Object.readFileSync (fs.js:360:19)
at Object.fs.readFileSync (electron/js2c/asar.js:542:40)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1050:22)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:862:32)
at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:774:14)
at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:769:28)
at Function.t._load (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:1057:776)
at Function.i._load (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:1027:486)
at Function.n._load (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:1023:767)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:899:19)
at r (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\loader.js:17:346)
at Object. (c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\node_modules\request\index.js:18:15)
at Module.i._compile (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\loader.js:17:571)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1051:10)
at Function.t._load (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:1057:776)
at Function.i._load (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:1027:486)
at Function.n._load (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:1023:767)
at c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\node_modules\platformio-node-helpers\dist\index.js:1:145
at Object. (c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\node_modules\platformio-node-helpers\dist\index.js:1:926)
at Module.i._compile (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\loader.js:17:571)
at Object. (c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\dist\extension.js:1:1063)
at o (c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\dist\extension.js:1:186)
at Object. (c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\dist\extension.js:1:1668)
at o (c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\dist\extension.js:1:186)
at c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\dist\extension.js:1:985
at Object. (c:\Users\adminator.vscode\extensions\platformio.platformio-ide-2.1.0\dist\extension.js:1:994)
at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:74:18)
at Function.s [as __$__nodeRequire] (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\loader.js:34:963)
at p._loadCommonJSModule (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:1028:771)
at p._doActivateExtension (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:925:742)
at p._activateExtension (e:\Developement\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\services\extensions\node\extensionHostProcess.js:924:822)
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:94:5)

I have seen a other error in the console (shift+ö)

[14.10.2020, 10:38:48] Die Konfiguration mit compilerPath “C:/Users/adminator/.platformio/packages/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe” kann nicht aufgelöst werden.

maybe this helps

Sorry, I don’t have any ideas :frowning:

that means i have to move a ton of stuff and own-libs now back to arduinoIDE :frowning: …that will be a odysee :confused:

why is there no standalone-platformio? -.-

You can always use it from the CLI, was always possible. PlatformIO Core (CLI) — PlatformIO latest documentation

Also a ton of other IDEs are available. See Cloud & Desktop IDEs — PlatformIO latest documentation

Other than a really-really clean re-install of Windows or usage of a VM with Linux I have no other idea for your particular configuration problem.

Does it work from CLI as @maxgerhardt recommends in VCS + Platformio suddenly stopped working - #15 by maxgerhardt ?

No I cant even install the core -.-

I have Python 3.7.4 installed… i download the get-platformio.py and do

python get-platformio.py --help

but i get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "get-platformio.py", line 68, in <module>
    main()
  File "get-platformio.py", line 60, in main
    bootstrap()
  File "get-platformio.py", line 44, in bootstrap
    import pioinstaller.__main__
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 983, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 967, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 668, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 638, in _load_backward_compatible
  File "C:\pio_py\.piocore-installer-g_236s0l\tmp3vys3_3y\pioinstaller.zip\pioinstaller\__main__.py", line 22, in <module>
  File "C:\pio_py\.piocore-installer-g_236s0l\tmp3vys3_3y\pioinstaller.zip\pioinstaller\core.py", line 25, in <module>
  File "C:\pio_py\.piocore-installer-g_236s0l\tmp3vys3_3y\pioinstaller.zip\pioinstaller\home.py", line 19, in <module>
  File "C:\pio_py\.piocore-installer-g_236s0l\tmp3vys3_3y\pioinstaller.zip\requests\__init__.py", line 120, in <module>
  File "C:\pio_py\.piocore-installer-g_236s0l\tmp3vys3_3y\pioinstaller.zip\reque
sts\utils.py", line 27, in <module>
  File "C:\pio_py\.piocore-installer-g_236s0l\tmp3vys3_3y\pioinstaller.zip\requests\_internal_utils.py", line 11, in <module>
  File "C:\pio_py\.piocore-installer-g_236s0l\tmp3vys3_3y\pioinstaller.zip\requests\compat.py", line 61, in <module>
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 677, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 724, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 859, in get_code
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 917, in get_data
OSError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

I’ve edited your post to use preformatted text instead of blockquote and repaired the forced newlines as good as I could. All formatting expect preformatted text treats angular brackets as HTML tags and basically swallows them.

1 Like

Sorry, something going wrong with your machine. Please check the permissions. Also, please destroy from system software that damage your machine: dr.web, kasperskyi antivirus, avast, etc.