Using PlatformIO with ARM Processor

Good Morning everyone,
If this has been asked before I’m sorry could someone link the post!

I currently have been working on my desktop at home for my project. I use VSC with c/c++ 0.23.1 and PlatformIO 1.7.1. Everything works great and I love PlatformIO

Now I have brought a tinkerboard s for me to take my computer on the go. I have VSC installed with the same extension as my desktop. Now because platformIO uses functions in c/c++ 0.23.1 and c/c++ doesn’t have ARM support I can’t create the right .cpp.o files for my program to compile.

Is there another extension that I can use other then c/c++ 0.23.1 that works with an ARM processor so I can build my code on my tinkerbaord?

What error message appears? Is c/c++ 0.23.1 the version of C/C++ VSCode extension for syntax highlighting and autocomplete? The compiler PlatformIO uses is the same accross all platforms, so you should be able to build the firmware from Windows or your tinkerboard alike.

Thanks for the Help Maxgerhart, this is the error message I get when trying to build my project.

Compiling .pioenvs/teensy36/src/Potentiometer.cpp.o
Compiling .pioenvs/teensy36/src/main.cpp.o
src/main.cpp:8:27: fatal error: potentiometer.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.
src/Potentiometer.cpp:2:27: fatal error: potentiometer.h: No such file or directory

* Looking for potentiometer.h dependency? Check our library registry!
* CLI > platformio lib search “header:potentiometer.h”
* Web > https://platformio.org/lib/search?query=header:potentiometer.h

compilation terminated.
Compiling .pioenvs/teensy36/lib97c/U8g2_ID942/U8x8lib.cpp.o
*** [.pioenvs/teensy36/src/main.cpp.o] Error 1
***** [.pioenvs/teensy36/src/Potentiometer.cpp.o] Error 1**
Compiling .pioenvs/teensy36/lib97c/U8g2_ID942/clib/u8g2_bitmap.c.o
============================================================================== [ERROR] Took 6.74 seconds ==============================================================================
The terminal process terminated with exit code: 1

Below is the error for the c/c++ extension

Unable to start the C/C++ language server. IntelliSense features will be disabled. 
Error: Missing binary at /home/linaro/.vscode-oss/extensions/ms-vscode.cpptools-0.21.0/bin/Microsoft.VSCode.CPP.Extension.linux

The IntelliSense error isn’t critical to compilation… it just means you won’t have the nice autocomplete stuff. And depending on the board / toolchain you use… you may be able to compile, but not upload… not sure for the Teensy… I’m working through similar issues as I find them on arm64 / aarch, and doing what I can to help fix errors there (ie. providing arm64 builds of stuff, reporting issues).

It looks like your error is related to a mistake in your code…

src/main.cpp:8:27: fatal error: potentiometer.h: No such file or directory

It looks like the .cpp has a capital P… maybe the header file does also? Linux is case sensitive for file names/paths.

Ok thank you pfeerick,

I will have to take a look into this because it compiles on my Windows computer no problem.
I will check in when I know more.

Joe

The issue was, case sensitive. I fixed the issue and now it complies !!

Thank you, Pfeerick

Joe

1 Like