"Update All" in Visual Studio Code

Hi guys,

in the past Quick Access->Updates->Update All worked without any problems, even without an active project. Now I get the message

pio update
This command is deprecated and will be removed in the next releases.
Please use pio pkg update instead.

Im using vscode 1.67.2, W11, PlatformIO IDE v2.4.3

pio pkg update in a terminal (vscode) works only inside a project, e.g.

.\Projects\Nucleo F401RE Test> pio update
This command is deprecated and will be removed in the next releases.
Please use pio pkg update instead.
PS .\Projects\Nucleo F401RE Test> pio pkg update
Resolving nucleo_f401re environment packages…
Already up-to-date.

Outside of a project:

.\Projects> pio pkg update
Error: Not a PlatformIO project. platformio.ini file has not been found in current working directory (.\Projects). To initialize new project please use platformio project init command

Summary

1. pio update doesnt work in vscode
  2. pio pkg update doesnt work outside of a project anymore

Do I overlook something?

Regards
Michael

Discussed in Update all libraries for version 6.0

Understood and this makes absolute sense.
But why do I get the message “pio update doesnt work in vscode”, triggered by “Update All”?

That’s definitely an oversight in the VSCode extension. It shouldn’t be issuing that command when it knows it’s working with the 6.x core, but instead it just does

Tracked in "Update All" command calls in invalid command · Issue #3219 · platformio/platformio-vscode-ide · GitHub now.

Exactly, the extension has to be updated. Thx for the help.

Hello everyone,

I’m not sure this is exactly related to the issue, but some buttons recently disappeared from my VSCode as well.

I noticed the build file system image and upload file system image went missing since yesterday, does it have anything to do with this?

Edit: Found a “solution” for the missing buttons, restarting the computer.

Doesn’t sound exactly related to this, but more to ESP32 upload stuff disappeared from PIO menu. We didn’t find the real cause though.

1 Like