UNRESPONSIVE extension host, 'platformio.platformio-ide' took 98%

I’m using Visual Studio Code together with platformio. All platformio versions higher than 1.8.3 cause the message "UNRESPONSIVE extension host, ‘platformio-ide’ during the installation. Extensions are not running.

Version: 1.53.2 (user setup)
Commit: 622cb03f7e070a9670c94bae1a45d78d7181fbd4
Date: 2021-02-11T11:48:04.245Z
Electron: 11.2.1
Chrome: 87.0.4280.141
Node.js: 12.18.3
V8: 8.7.220.31-electron.0

Profile attached:

This error is very annoying, since there is no reasonable error message for the end user. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Does the installation ever finish? What other extensions are installed in VSCode?

Installed extensions are: C/C++, Espressif IDF
When I install platformio IDE I was requested to reload and after the reload no extension icons are displayed on the status bar, even the ones from Espressif IDF. I don’t think that the installation is complete. The developer console is showing: WARN UNRESPONSIVE extension host, ‘platformio.platformio-ide’ took 97% of 5163.106ms, saved PROFILE here: ‘c:\Users\berth\AppData\Local\Temp\exthost-655524.cpuprofile’

Is any antivirus active that could interfere?

You can also try and remove the PlatformIO extension again, or if that’s not possible, remove the C:\Users\berth\.platformio\ folder fully and restart VSCode.

MS defender is switched off. I have deleted the .platformio folder and tried to reinstall platformio IDE. During the installation process the message “UNRESPONSIVE extension host caused by platformio” appears causing the installation to stop. If I click on “show issues” a reminder to attach the CPU-profile.
In github there is a hint “Extension causes high cpu load #2253”. I have put this profile in Microsoft VS Code home directory and attached it via java profiler, but nothing happens. When I restart VS Code the same notification is displayed.