Restart micro without unplugging

Hi, I’ve been working with platformio since 1 year on windows, and every time I needed to restart or reset the micro, board or sketch (without unplugging them from usb) was restarting the serial monitor or opening a new one (I use vscode) but last week I installed ubuntu and the only way to restart the board is unplugging the USB or uploading again the same code to the board. (Every config is the same. I only did git clone). So I think is a SO thing.

Does your board not have a “reset” button? I use the one on my Arduinos to reset it/them without unplugging.

Cheers,
Norm.

Just use the “soft reset via opening the serial at 1200 baud” method? Leonard serial baud rate - Networking, Protocols, and Devices - Arduino Forum

If you have miniterm.py installed you can execute e.g. miniterm.py /dev/ttyUSB0 1200 (assuming the Arduino Micro is the serial device /dev/ttyUSB0).

Otherwise the Arduino Micro does have a big red reset button on the board as Norman said.

Yes, I know about the reset button, I’m using esp8266 wifi kit 8 heltec. But my board is already assembled and covered with a top, so I don’t have access to that button nor any pin. only USB. so I think the only way to do it is through a command if there’s exist one. It’s kinda curious why it resets on windows and not on Linux.

Okay so “resetting the micro” does not refer to the Arduino Micro board but the microcontroller you’re using, which wasn’t specified before.

This is however still possible with the ESP8266 and another technique. The serial adapter on practically every dev boards is wired to the ESP8266’s RST/EN and GPIO0 lines via the serial adapter’s DTR/RTS lines to do an automatic reboot-into-bootloader action. Using esptool.py, the chip can also be reset, or by toggling DTR/RTS yourself. Do you have esptool.py installed?

See Is there a way to reset (restart/reboot) the board within the IDE?.

thanks! this is what I needed! thanks so much