Raspberry Pi RP2040 microcontroller - PIO support when? :)

Agreed. Although, currently PlatformIO doesn’t offer an out-of-the-box solution, users can certainly debug the Raspberry Pi Pico with it. Most of the debugging seems to be fine other than a few quirks with inspecting variables.

I’ve managed to hookup & debug a couple of different displays (ssd1306, st7789) & some sensors to the Pico.

I haven’t tried WizIO’s repo yet but will test out the rp2040_jlink branch, as I prefer to use J-Link Edu mini where possible.

I use J-Link with nRF5240 devices (Nordic Dongle, Particle Xenon) and more recently with BBC micro:bit v2. Segger updated their J-Link OB for the micro:bit v2 last month. J-Link with Segger Ozone is a great option.

I’m sure in the next 3-4 months, we’ll have a much smoother Pico development process with PlatformIO. Hopefully later this year, we may even get Zephyr-RTOS support for the Pico!

will make experiments… will share soon in git

I add some changes for future-debug
platform.py
and
board pico.json

but I need to get second pico for picoprobe and/or some hard debug interface
IF anyone has experience with picoprobe I need step by step all terminal commands

You would also need to add the svd file to a new folder in the platform, called misc/svd, like e.g. in ststm32.

Also for the debug interface with Raspberry Pi’s GPIO pins, the config files are described here. And for the picoprobe it would need the interface/ picoprobe.cfg file. But attention: This is again in a different branch in the openocd repo, picoprobe. Seems confusing to me that there’s a a rp2040 branch (which doesn’t have the picoprobe file), a picoprobe branch and a rp2040_jlink branch, each featuring something different…

1 Like

yep…

today I run openOCD but need arguments…
openOCD for picoprobe

debug info

New version 1.0.1

PICO-SDK as is, but the file organization has been restructured to be flexible and have a fast compilation

Added some libraries as

Arduino can work as Baremetal ( by default ) and with FreeRTOS
lib_deps = freertos ; load FreeRTOS Arduino version

see README and WIKI

1 Like

Added support of PIO-ASM - Windows and Ubuntu

board_build.pio_src = src/ws2812.pio
;board_build.pio_dst = include/ws2812.pio.h

Added pico-sdk v 1.1.0 release
will support last release and one old last

board_build.sdk = SDK101 or SDK110 ( default / empty )

2 Likes

Hi,
Please, help me to configure the new version for baremetal USB Uart.

The USB CDC is working now with the new 1.02 version. :slight_smile:

Maybe interesting: I’ve noted that the ArduinoCore-mbed repo, which holds the Arduino core implementation based on mbed-os for a few boards, has a new member since 5 days: RASPBERRY_PI_PICO. With patch files in the “patches” folder for adding all target dependent stuff with it in the folders targets/TARGET_RASPBERRYPI/TARGET_RP2040 and [..]/TARGET_NANO_RP2040_CONNECT.

We might be seeing mbed-os integration and official Arduino core integration from that soon.

1 Like

simple tube demos

Raspberry Pi Pico RP2040 - PlatformIO & Arduino ( Blink )

Raspberry Pi Pico RP2040 - POSIX Threads in Arduino ( FreeRTOS )

BTW: this is version 1.0.4 - will update git this days…

1 Like

Meanwhile, there’s another youtube video (#377 Arduino Support for the Pi Pico available! And how fast is the Pico? - YouTube) about an unofficial Arduino core implementation GitHub - earlephilhower/arduino-pico: Raspberry Pi Pico Arduino core, for all RP2040 boards.

It seems to get really fragmented really fast :smiley:

Thanks for alerting the progress on the ArduinoCore-mbed repo.

Glad to see that the Arduino Team are making good progress with the RP2040 / Raspberry Pi Pico ArduinoCore-mbed support. Hopefully we’ll see the official release by April/May.

Will the official ArduinoCore-mbed support for RP2040 mean that we could potentially see a PlatformIO support a few months afterwards?

Debug ( CMSIS-DAP, without probe @ core 1 )
but need more experiments, maybe will work and with picoprobe ( I not have second board )

1 Like

the example from the movie

We added official support for Raspberry Pi Pico. Please check this post:

No luck on macOS

See comment above. We’ve not published dev-platform into the registry. It is still in testing. You need to use

[env:pico]
platform = https://github.com/platformio/platform-raspberrypi.git
framework = arduino
board = pico

Thank you, now it works. :grinning:

1 Like

Does debugging work as well?