Raspberry Pi Pico C/C++ SDK support

I tried to advance beyond a simple LED blink test with RP2040 and I run into problems with a mishmash of different environments, legacy libraries and ambiguous terms: Arduino, Mbed, etc. They may be obvious to old timers. For me, they required some archeological digs to uncover their history, and it’s still not clear how to deal with them. I don’t care about Arduino sketches, the standard C/C++ main() is fine. I’m fine with loosing access to some Arduino libraries, allegedly there is a shim to adapt a large fraction of them.

Is there a direct support of Raspberry Pi Pico C/C++ SDK? Is this

framework = arduino

my only option?

On platformio/platform-raspberrypi, yes.

Though with Arduino-Pico (Earlephilhower) support, PicoProbe Debugging by maxgerhardt · Pull Request #36 · platformio/platform-raspberrypi · GitHub merged it will have two Arduino core options.

The PR, that enables Arduino-Pico, also enables you to access the Pi Pico SDK, like the documentation says.

Alternatively, as discussed in e.g. RP2040 not starting - How to set adjust the startup delay for crystal stability on custom designs - #2 by maxgerhardt, there exists GitHub - Wiz-IO/wizio-pico: Raspberry Pi Pico development platform for PlatformIO, which gives you access to only the Pico SDK (called framework = baremetal there).

2 Likes

In the official Raspberry Pi integration, this is tracked in Add baremetal as framework · Issue #4 · platformio/platform-raspberrypi · GitHub.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying it.