Platformio/tool-openocd-kendryte for system 'linux_armv7l'

Description of problem

I’m not too sure if this is considered a bug. I believe the platformio/tool-openocd-kendryte is not compiled for Raspberry PI (linux_armv7l)

Configuration

Operating system:Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
PlatformIO Version (platformio --version): PlatformIO Core, version 5.1.1

****************** Error Log Start ******************

> Executing task in folder sipeed_test: platformio run --target upload --environment sipeed-maix-one-dock <

Processing sipeed-maix-one-dock (platform: kendryte210; board: sipeed-maix-one-dock; framework: kendryte-standalone-sdk)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tool Manager: Installing platformio/tool-openocd-kendryte @ ^1.203.0
Error: Could not find the package with 'platformio/tool-openocd-kendryte @ ^1.203.0' requirements for your system 'linux_armv7l'
The terminal process "platformio 'run', '--target', 'upload', '--environment', 'sipeed-maix-one-dock'" terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

****************** Error Log End******************

Steps to Reproduce

1. Create a new project and select Sipeed MAIX one dock
  2. Select Kendryte Standalone sdk
  3. Click on “Upload”

Actual Results

As seen in error log above, it cannot find a suitable binary for platformio/tool-openocd-kendryte

Expected Results

I expect not to see this error although I am not using platformio/tool-openocd-kendryte.

The package is not available in PlatformIO’s repos, please file a bug in Issues · sipeed/platform-kendryte210 · GitHub so that the people there (or @valeros?) can upload the missing packet.

However that may take some while.

Are you able to clone GitHub - kendryte/openocd-kendryte, install the depenendencies and configure the features (as per Compiling OpenOCD from Source on Ubuntu 16.04 | Tom Verbeure | Hackaday.io but don’t clone it from that link, but in the link given above)?

If you are able to compile (and make install it to some directory) you can just add a package.json to that folder with the content

{
  "name": "tool-openocd-kendryte",
  "version": "1.203.1",
  "description": "Open On-Chip Debugger branch with RISC-V Kendryte support",
  "keywords": [
    "tools",
    "debugger",
    "debug server",
    "uploader",
    "risc-v"
  ],
  "homepage": "http://openocd.org",
  "license": "GPL-2.0-or-later",
  "system": [
    "linux_armv7l"
  ],
  "repository": {
    "type": "git",
    "url": "https://github.com/kendryte/openocd-kendryte"
  }
}

and use it by copying it to ~/.platformio/packages/tool-openocd-kendryte, with the same structure as e.g. the linux x64 package. That should make PlatformIO recongize that this package is already ‘installed’.

@maxgerhardt Thanks for info.

I first used a Intel PC to create a project and look at how the openocd is packaged for linux_x86_64.

I then changed the package.json as per your suggestion by updating the system to linux_armv7l

Since I already have openocd for k210 compiled, I just package is accordingly and uploaded it to git.

Somewhat related to my other issue on installing extra python packages. I ended up creating a fork of the platform and point everything to the intended packages (including this one).

So now my users just need to run pio platform install GitHub - xalogic-open/platform-kendryte210: Kendryte K210: development platform for PlatformIO

Hopefully, once this is more stable I will get it merged with the official platform.

Thanks again, you helped me better understand the way platformio work.

I’ve opened an issue in tool-openocd-kendryte not available for linux_armv7l · Issue #40 · sipeed/platform-kendryte210 · GitHub to track the OpenOCD issue.

Is it possible that you execute pio package pack ~/.platformio/packages/tool-openocd-kendryte, this should result in one nice .tar.gz package, upload it and post a link in the aforementioned issue? This may help other users and the maintainers directly.

@maxgerhardt I can do that but I would have to re-do it. Do give me a little time.

The reason is that I use that package mainly to use the Raspberry PI 40 pin IO to “bit bang” the JTAG interface of K210 using the bcm2835gpio interface.

So, I believe things like USB are not enabled as I did not fully follow the steps you pointed out in the article. To be honest, I don’t know how to fully test the package to ensure that it works. It just worked on the mode I am interested in.

@maxgerhardt

Turns out it was easier when you do it a second time.

Link to tar ball
https://github.com/xalogic-open/tool-openocd-kendryte/releases/download/v1.203.1_linux_armv7l/tool-openocd-kendryte-linux_armv7l-1.203.1.tar.gz

The steps to compile openocd-kendryte:

• sudo apt-get install libtool pkg-config texinfo libusb-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev libftdi-dev autoconf
  • ./bootstrap
  • ./configure --prefix=/opt/openocd --enable-sysfsgpio --enable-bcm2835gpio
  • make
  • sudo make install
1 Like