PLatformIO support for SAMG55?

Hi,
does anyone know if there is there any SAMG55 support in PlatformIO?
I tried to build some simple code and it did build without errors, platformio.ini sample:
framework = arduino
platform = atmelsam
board = adafruit_metro_m0
board_build.mcu = samg55j19b

The binary did nothing, I am not sure if the processor is being initialized properly and there is no pinout to use with Arduino convention.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

That won’t change that it still tries to build the Arduino framework with the adafruit_metro_m0 variant which has all the macros indicating that it’s a SAMD21 chip

Along with all the probably wrong information about the chip size and the application offset since the board is expected to have a bootloader

So just setting the .mcu attribute won’t change much, it can’t be free-standing, it needs to have all other correct board information associated with it, as well. See docs.

After that, you’ll run into another problem: The Adafruit core officially only supports SAMD21 and SAMD51 cores, not SAMG55. The core code and libraries probably also expect a core of either those types only. So if you want to get Arduino working, there’s some (much?) porting work to be done.

The Arduino SAMD core only even supports SAMD21 chips.

Unless I’m completely mistaken here and you know of a secret Arduino core that supports the SAMG55 series that I don’t know of. Please immediately let me know of that, if that’s the case.

From all listed supported frameworks for the Atmel SAM platform, the only thing that supports it directly is mbed-os 5 (mbed-os/targets/TARGET_Atmel/TARGET_SAM_CortexM4 at 5.15.2 · ARMmbed/mbed-os · GitHub). Not the new mbed-os 6 though, it seems. To integrate that correctly, still some JSON board manifest modifications or framework-mbed modifications would have to be made.

For feature requests to add a SAMG55 board definition to PlatformIO with possibly mbed-os support, use Issues · platformio/platform-atmelsam · GitHub and link to this thread. If you want some Arduino core to support SAMG55 you’ll either have to open an issue there or provide and use your own ported core.

Thanks for your reply. I found references to the SAMG55 in Arduino but nothing related to a board.
I will attempt to ask for a feature request as you recommend, but also if I figure out how to do it myself I can surely give it a shot and integrate something Arduino compatible based on the code provided by Microchip.