PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

Thanks for the test! :slight_smile:

Issue #2 is a little bit different. It means to show progress when we do project indexing. It also can take some time when packages are not installed by dev-platform.

As for the progress with installer, yes, need to think what is good to show to end user. Python, virtual environment, built-in Python - these are our internal things and I’m sure generic embedded developer does not want to know something like this. He needs and IDE to work on embedded projects. In any case, we are agree that having better progress should help when connection speed is slow and user thinks that installer got stuck.

1 Like

Ah, ok, yes, that is a bit different. And yes, it makes sense to not show more technical stuff to embedded developers… I was actually thinking when I saw from the logging used in the 1.9.x extension that it seemed to be divided into eight stages… so it could have been a simple as Installing PlatformIO.... Step # of 8 complete. However it’s done, just some way to show overall progress or movement, rather than a randomly blinking cursor or spinner. Anyway, this isn’t really related to this announcement, so I’ll stop now :wink:

1 Like

The next beta of PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0.0-beta.2 is out!

What is New

• New PlatformIO Task Explorer
    • Instant access to the Project Tasks within the VSCode Explorer
    • Grouped tasks: Generic, Advanced, PIO Remote, Platform, Custom, etc.
    • Support for PlatformIO dev-platform tasks (Program FPGA bitstream, Burn bootloader, Upload to FS, OTA Update, etc). The list of tasks depends on a particular dev-platform
    • Access to User Custom Targets

Demo

Upgrading to 2.0.0-beta.2

Please follow Install Beta steps in PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

Please note that you will need to update all dev-platforms via PIO Home > Platform > Updates or pio update to see new Platform tasks in explorer.

Regards,
Your friends at PlatformIO.

2 Likes

Hi @ivankravets, Congratulations!! :tada: looking forward to the release and might test too.

There is one issue not related to platformio but pyserial which take good amount of time (probably for windows user?) for scanning and opening the ports when bluetooth COM ports are installed on the system. I have probably 6 BT COM ports on my system and pio device list takes about ~12.5s to list all the devices. Pyserial validate all the com ports be opening(?) so maybe that is why it is taking time.

This issue has been posted on pyserial too but since the repo is frozen for over years now, no one is looking at the issue.

Since pyserial is very core part of PlatformIO, solving this would be helpful to solve problem like this:

1 Like

@ivankravets Three things have recently changed (OS update: W10 to 20.04, VSCode just updated to 1.46, and PIO-VSCode-2.0-Beta2 extension) so my apologises in advance if this is a red herring. I will try rolling back to beta1 to see if the Beta2 extension is the culprit or not, though.

First run of VSCode+PlatformIO-beta2 since updating the OS, and every single time I re-open VSCode, or open a new window, the platformio startup check is now longer, and it is trying to download python-portable-windows_amd64-3.7.7.tar.gz again (and fails). Closing VSCode, and manually putting a downloaded version of the file in .cache instead of the zero byte file results in no change in behaviour.

Edit: Just re-installed the beta1 extension, and the startup speed is back to normal, and no attempt to re-download the python runtime. So maybe something in the beta2 extension, or get-platformio-0.3.2.py?

The next beta of PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0.0-beta.3 is out!

What is New

• Contribute PlatformIO Core CLI into VSCode’s default Terminal
  • Fixed a bug when hotkeys in PIO Home did not work on macOS (issue #606)
  • Fixed an issue with broken installer for built-in Python 3 introduced in Beta 2

Upgrading to 2.0.0-beta.3

Please follow Install Beta steps in PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

Please note that you will need to update all dev-platforms via PIO Home > Platform > Updates or pio update to see new Platform tasks in explorer.

Regards,

Sorry, this is our bug. Please upgrade to Beta 3 PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing! - #8 by ivankravets

1 Like

Can confirm that fixed it. Hazards of running a beta version :wink: Loving the Tasks panel that doesn’t need you to switch to the PIO sidebar panel, and the grouped tasks listings!

The next beta of PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0.0-beta.4 is out!

What is New

• New Project Environment Switcher
    • Switch between project environments declared in platformio.ini project configuration file (issue #544)
    • Activate IntelliSense service based on the current environment
    • Automatically generate a debugging configuration for the active environment

Upgrading to 2.0.0-beta.4

Regards,

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! :blush: You should love Beta 4 - see PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0 Beta – Help us with testing!

We don’t plan to add more features. If there are no critical issues, we will release it soon :rocket:

1 Like

Yes, Beta4 has added a much desired feature! No issues so far (give me time … I’ll break it! :rofl: :).

Just a clarification if you don’t mind of intended operation… using the below screenshot for reference… when I click 1 to set the ‘active environment’ … should BOTH 2 and 3 build only that environment, or just 3 (and the keyboard shortcut)? As I got myself confused when 3 worked fine, and then later hit 2, and it promptly built all eight environments (including rebuild of 7… since I just let it go)…

In other words, is 2 intended to always refer to ‘build all’, and 3/keyboard shortcut just the ‘active environment’ (1)?

1 Like

The next beta of PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0.0-beta.5 is out!

What is New

• Added “All” suffix to multi-environment common tasks in PlatformIO Tasks Explorer
  • Fixed an error “ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘~/.platformio/homestate.json’”

Upgrading to 2.0.0-beta.5

Regards,

1 Like

Yes, this is correct behavior otherwise we will not be able to process ALL environments. For example, quick deployment, quick tests, etc. I’ve just published a new Beta 5. Thanks that reported this issue:

1 Like

Hi @ivankravets! I just installed PIO 2.0.0-beta5 and Core 4.4.0a3, compiled all my projects, so far so good! The whole process was flawless. I really like the “PLATFORMIO TASKS” side windows and also the ability to change the environment, I was missing these features!!

I would like to give pio package pack/publish a test ride, is the library registry ready yet?

Oh btw, I use VSCode 1.46 and macOS 10.15.5.

2 Likes

Great, that’s what I thought it was. And the fix in Beta5 to append ‘All’ only when there are multiple environments is perfect. Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks! We will contact you. I hope we should have something public this week.

2 Likes

A thought… Would ‘General’ be better than ‘Generic’? I was initially going to say ‘Basic’ (to compliment ‘Advanced’), but these are the tasks in use all the time… so not really ‘basic’! :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks! Fixed! I’m not so expert in English :frowning:

2 Likes

If you need some help, feel free to ask!

1 Like

I’ll help too, as long as Ivan doesn’t ask me to write any Urkranian docs! And with breaking… er, testing the universal library… :rofl: :rofl:

btw, a behaviour change if possible… I noticed in the other topic about file system upload to the ESP8266 that it’s now under the environment specific ‘Platform’ tasks… which unfortunately doesn’t show under ‘Generic’ (now General) branch even if there is only one environment in the project. Is it possible to change that behaviour so it does show under the general branch in that instance? Otherwise you have to dig into the environment block even when there is only one environment.

1 Like