PlatformIO IDE 2.0 for VSCode 🚀

PlatformIO IDE for VSCode 2.0.1 is out! It looks like other people are also used to the previous location. Also, there are a lot of tutorials. We will provide information in docs that people can drag that view. So, everyone will decide personally how it is better for him.

Since I followed the beta builds, this wasn’t a surprise for me. I prefer the new customisation option, as I can leave a smaller panel open with PlatformIO showing like below, but also appreciate others are used to the old layout. So this is a nice compromise.

1 Like

Libraries can no longer be installed to global storage? When I try and install a new library, the only option seems to be ‘Add to project’… this is not good.

• JMe

Could you explain why?

1 Like

@ivankravets Thanks for the new version and all the good work.

I very much support to change from Install… to Add to Project…. It’s the proper way to do software development as it gets rid of so many problems. I’ve advocated the use of lib_deps again and again. And I can now tick off one of wishes for Santa Clause.

The Add to Project… feature however highlights the weak Visual Studio Code integration of this part of PlatformIO. That’s next on the wish list…

2 Likes

I typically use a set of libraries for several projects. Let’s say I have none in global storage. When I add a new projects, I end up adding libraries one by one for each of them, in separate storage locations. I can see how this makes dependency management and project copying/moving easier, and if I want to make a change to a library for just one project, this is great. But otherwise it’s just a waste of space and effort. There should at least be a possibility to select if a library is added globally, or locally to a project (preferably with scoping, so that project’s local lib installation overrides the local one).

• JMe

PlatformIO IDE 2.1.0 for VSCode is out!

• Added a new setting platformio-ide.autoPreloadEnvTasks to enable automatic preloading of the project environment tasks (issue #2004)
  • Renamed “PIO Remote” group of tasks to “Remote Development”
  • Updated PlatformIO Core installer to v0.3.5

See PlatformIO IDE 2.1.0 for VSCode Release Notes for details.

Upgrade

Please navigate to “VSCode > View > Extensions” and click “Update”.

Regards,
Your friends at PlatformIO

Has support for Global libraries been removed in the latest VS Code addon?

I can no longer install libraries to Global storage, and when I try to update a library thats in global storage (I have many), the update button is present, but greyed and I get the red unavailable symbol when I hover over the button.

This would be a major pain for me as I use global storage almost exclusively for projects at work, with only local libs used for projects that have extra dependencies above our baseline on all projects. I also use a local package if we need to modify any library code for whatever reason.

Nothing in the Release notes makes it clear this is gone: Release 2.0.0 · platformio/platformio-vscode-ide · GitHub

Is there a way to bring it back?

Open a PIO terminal (or a shell if you have the PIO core installed globally) and excecute pio lib --global update. Does it throw an error?

If yes, is pio lib -g list able to enumerate all globally installed libraries correctly?

Updating in the terminal does work, but if the feature is still in platformio, it makes sense to keep it in the VS Code addon GUI I think.

Yeah Global list also still works, its just the UI elements that no longer work in the latest (since V2 ) VS Code Addon.

Hm. Same behavior for me. Installing an outdated library version with

$ pio lib -g install itead/Nextion@0.7.0
Library Storage: /home/max/.platformio/lib
Library Manager: Installing itead/Nextion @ 0.7.0
Library Manager: Nextion @ 0.7.0 has been installed!

(latest is 0.9.0), the update button is also greyed out and the cursor turns into a red “forbidden” sign when hovering over it.

Not sure what’s going as I don’t find any updated references in the migration guide or in the PIO Home docs.

Via terminal it still works too.

pio lib -g update
Library Storage: /home/max/.platformio/lib
Updating itead/Nextion                        0.7.0                              [Outdated 0.9.0]
Library Manager: Installing itead/Nextion @ 0.9.0
Downloading  [####################################]  100%          
Library Manager: Nextion @ 0.9.0 has been installed!
Library Manager: Removing Nextion @ 0.7.0
Library Manager: Nextion @ 0.7.0 has been removed!

@ivankravets anay idea why the PIO Home GUI forbids the update?

2 Likes

It seems like a bug, we will fix it ASAP. Thanks, @maxgerhardt :blush:

2 Likes

There is still no option in the settings (ctrl+,) to change the default location for new projects. Is this expected to be implemented at some point? Also, I don’t think there’s an option to right-click anywhere on the project and add project-specific library dependencies. Is a GUI for editing platformio.ini expected anytime soon?

1 Like

PlatformIO IDE 2.1.3 for VSCode is out!

• Do not patch the global environment PATH with PlatformIO (issues #2045, #2046)
  • Do not propagate PlatformIO CLI to a default VSCode’s terminal. If you need PlatformIO Core CLI, please open “Left Activity Bar > PlatformIO (icon) > Quick Access > Miscellaneous > PlatformIO Core CLI”)
  • Fixed an issue with “Webview is disposed” (issue #2126)
  • Fixed a bug with “Cannot find module ‘os-tmpdir’”
  • Fixed a regression bug with debugging solution

See PlatformIO IDE 2.1.3 for VSCode Release Notes for details.

Upgrade

Please navigate to “VSCode > View > Extensions” and click “Update”.

Regards,
Your friends at PlatformIO

Sorry for the issue, has been fixed in the latest PlatformIO Home. Please open PlatformIO CLI and type pio update.

@wingedrhino There has been a GUI for editing platformio.ini for a little while now… have a look for Projects and Configuration in the PIO sidebar panel, and then open/select the project you want to configure.

2 Likes

Everytime I open PlatformIO IDE i have to wait a couple of minutes before I can use the IDE which is a bit of a downside when you have a slow internet connection or no internet at all.

In future updates is it not possible to just go to the IDE wothout having to wait for the IDE to install everytime I need to use the IDE.

Something is going wrong with your machine. Please open PlatformIO IDE for VSCode — PlatformIO latest documentation and provide an output of pio system info.