Platformio, ESP32 and Bluetooth - How?

I try to scan and connect to a Blutooth device (classic) with an ESP32.

Due to usage of other libs, I prefer to use “Arduino” framework.

It seems that pio currently only support an old version of Arduino-ESP32 that only includes rudimentary Bluetooth support.

So:

1. Is it possible to use latest Arduino-ESP32 with platformio? Especially the additonal BluetoothSerial files for scanning etc.?
    I tried with
    platform_packages =
    toolchain-xtensa32 @ ^2.8
    framework-arduinoespressif32@https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32.git#2.0.2
    in platformio.ini but this results in strange linker error:
    /home/ian/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32@2.80400.210211/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: final link failed: bad value
    Without the toolchain-version 2.8 (or 3.8) the linker can’t find some symbols (crt1-sim.o, _vectors.o).

2. Are there any other recommendation which libraries to use to connect to a serial Bluetooth device? (That are compatible to Arduino - or have some libraries for SSD1306 available).
    Note: In a later step I also need Bluetooth LE support.

Please see Support for the latest Arduino v2.0 · Issue #619 · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub, especially Support for the latest Arduino v2.0 · Issue #619 · platformio/platform-espressif32 · GitHub.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. Works fine :+1: