Is this poor experience normal?

Hi All,
I’m relatively new to embedded programming, coming from a .net background, but i will be writing software drivers in C for the foreseeable future. I am looking for an experience in embedded development similar to what i would be used to in Visual Studio. VSCode and platformio seem to be a good fit. I need to make a recommendation to the dev. team on how platformio works.

The main problems i am encountering are user-experience. For example, if i have a typo in the code, it can take 10-20 seconds after i fix it before the red-squiggles disappear, and just as long or them to appear. This is intellisense? Can it be controlled, or should a specific I’m using the C/C++ extension from MS.

Another issue is the ‘go to definition’ option - it only seems to work when it feels like it, i have disabled all other extensions in case something was causing problems - is this just normal or should i expect a better experience?

I use these features extensively, so it’s a real problem that they don’t work consistently, at the moment i can’t recommend platformio and i’m hoping this is just my setup which can be fixed.

Sean

That is way to slow; from everything I’ve seen it should be much faster.

Why not use PIO + Visual Studio directly? --ide=visualstudio(docs)

really? VS works with PIO?

Could you try to disable user extensions in VSCode and keep only PlatformIO IDE + Microsoft C/C++? Did it help?