Installing PlatformIO Core

There does appear to be some related topics on this issue, but not quite the same as mine.

I’ve been using PlatformIO now for months without this problem which began last Monday. I spent the entire day trying to get to the bottom of it. I was up and running again by the end of the day, but not really sure what what caused the problem to begin with.

Now it’s the following Monday morning and I’m having the same problem again:
I launch Visual Studio Code. In the output window, it says “Installing PlatformIO Core…
Please do not close this window and do not open other folders until this process is completed.”

I can see in the bottom ribbon “PlatformIO: Installing PlatformIO IDE…” but never successfully completes. Eventually I am asked to provide the path to python, which I do. But even that does not help.

So, why is this happening? Is something being pushed down over the weekends? Is there a setting that I can prevent this?

Thanks for the help!

Standard procedure for “installation hangs forever”:

• remove the extension again
  • remove conflicting extensions such as the “Arduino” extension
  • remove the <home directory>/.platformio/ directory (e.g. C:\Users\<user>\.platformio)
  • disable all antivirus which could interfere
  • assure that network connectivity is there for the platformio servers (no interfering firewalls)
  • attempt installation again

Does this change anything?

1 Like

I will let you know. Is this common to happen? Are others experiencing this? I’m not sure I can do this on a regular basis.

That wasn’t quite sufficient. Last week, I had removed all versions of Python on my system, then reinstalled Python 2.7 directly under C:. I noticed this morning that the reinstallation of PlatformIO was also installing version 3.7 under the .platformio subdirectory.

So I uninstalled platformio again. Uninstalled all versions of python as I only need it for platformio. Reinstalled platformio. Updated my system level path to point to python.exe under the .platform directory.

Now, all seems to be working again.

I’ve had the same thing happen and probably spent 4hrs trying to figure it out since last Thursday.
I found this that it was happening to other people Installation Manager · Issue #1228 · platformio/platformio-vscode-ide · GitHub
and a hint here about removing older python Redirecting...
I removed an older c:\python34 and .pio\python27, and it then upgraded and it worked.

2 Likes