PlatformIO Community

Install and run arduino libraries on a desktop?

Is it possible to install and run arduino libraries on a desktop and then run them as a desktop application on platformIO?

I wish to run arduino unit tests on a desktop before running them on an arduino board, and it would be beneficial if I run arduino code on a desktop to do this.

Do you mean emulation?

if the Arduino framework is specifically designed, and only works on arduino hardware (which I don’t think is true because I have read accounts of people using the arduino framework on a raspberry pi) then yes. I was hoping though that there would be a way to run the arduino software on non arduino hardware. Emulation is not necessary, just running the arduino framework on non arduino hardware is.

I have an arduino that is located remotely, and do not have access to it 24/7, so I need a way of testing my code without a physical arduino.

You might be thinking of something like the RasPiArduino framework, which works by having a completely different toolchain and board type. For basic stuff it would probably be practical as a ‘emulator’, but for the raspberry Pi hardware only.

I haven’t tried it, but this could work… https://www.sites.google.com/site/unoardusim/

There is platformio remote if you can get that arduino connected to something with an internet connection so you can remotely program it.

Otherwise your best option is duplicate hardware - beats any emulator, and you know it will do exactly what the hardware at the other site does.

yep, I have platformio remote, but the arduinos are running in a production environment most of the time. Buying the required hardware may be the best bet.